New York

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by rachel, Jan 12, 2003.

1. rachel

rachel

Before you all faint with shock that I, of all people, have started a thread entitled New York (and yes I do mean the one that is in the US), there is a very good reason for this. I am going there on 16th February and would like a couple of recommendations of what and where to eat that won't make me bankrupt. In my heart of hearts I want to eat Mediterranean food, but it would be rather stupid of me to go all the way to New York and eat pure Italian or pure Spanish food as I can do that in spain and Italy, and all I'll do is moan that they haven't got this or that right (I am rather grumpy that way). Actually, I leave myself in your capable hands for suggestions for somethings neither bankbreaking nor gimmicky.

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Only one day?!?!? :eek: How many meals will you be able to squeeze in? :D How much do you want to travel around the city? What's your top that you'd be willing to pay? What other styles of food would interest you?

Even without answers to all those questions, I would have to say that you MUST try either Craft or Craftbar, for some of the most creative, flavorful, ingredient-powered food here. Craftbar is more casual and with somewhat lower prices.

Since 2/16 is a Sunday, you might also consider that fine old NYC tradition: dim sum in Chinatown. There are quite a few good places (maybe not up to Hong Kong or Vancouver, but still excellent).

Wow! Have a great trip!

3. rachel

rachel

:lol: I need to sort out my dates more. . .I am leaving on 19th February and returning on 26th. I am capable of going to the airport on the Sunday and wondering where my flight is!!
    I am not sure exactly how much, I wouldn't like to pay more than an average of $25 for a main course, but then I wouldn't like to miss something really special because it is over my budget. I also have no idea how much restaurants cost in New York. I know that if I went to Copenhagen everything would cost a fortune, but I am not sure what a realistic budget would be for New York. I can say that I don't particularly like fancy restaurants and won't be bringing suitable clothes for such an event, and company I'll be with there doesn't really do fancy.

4. rachel

rachel

Oh, and I am staying quite near Times Square and will be by myself during the day, so I can travel for lunch. . .

5. skiingontheroof

skiingontheroof

Hi Rachel,

I am so excited to see this post! Being a native New Yorker, there are so many restaurants in the city which are just fabulous and quite special to me, so it is rather difficult to make suggestions. However, here's my best attempt to give you some ideas that you may not find elsewhere:

1) Nyonya - This is a Malaysian restaurant right on the border of Little Italy and Chinatown. THE FOOD IS OUT OF THIS WORLD. I highly advise checking this place out. The flavors are just amazing, the portions are large, the prices are low, and the food is perfectly prepared. I am ALWAYS impressed when I go to Nyonya, and it has become one of my favorite places to take friends who visit me from out of town. Always a hit!! The address and phone number are:

194 Grand St.
    New York, NY 10013
    212-334-3669

(Be sure to order either the dry curry squid or the house special squid...both are unreal!)

2) Nobu - Okay, so you'll probably hear about this from other people; however, it lives up to its reputation. It is a superior Japanese restaurant, hands down. Yet again, the food is perfectly prepared and the flavors are wonderful. Some of their dishes are truly unforgettable. (Rock shrimp tempura with creamy sauce..wow!) You won't have any luck getting into Nobu without a reservation. However, you can go to Next Door Nobu, which is located directly next door and is first-come, first-serve. The doors open at 5:45, so if you show up at that time, you'll most likely get a table. Definitely worth checking out. It is a tad pricey, but if you're careful you can have a nice meal without spending a fortune. Address & number:

105 Hudson St. (bet. Franklin & N. Moore Sts.)
    (212) 334-4445

I'll leave my suggestions at that, though I could easily go on and on! These are my two largest recommendations for restaurants. You won't be disappointed with either one!

Have a wonderful time in New York!! Make sure to update us when you return from your trip about what you liked and disliked! Happy eating! :)

Michele

6. rachel

rachel

So Craft (do you have an address/phone number for them?), a malaysian restaurant and a japanese one, sounds very good. :D
    I have just been told by a friend that if i am going to eat such good food i have to balance it by trying to get tickets for a daytime talk show like Rikki Lake or someone called Big Momma (?) as i should really have the whole New York experience and not just the good stuff!

7. rachel

rachel

Oh and as for other syles of food, lets see - there's really good Indian restaurants here, so not much point in that. I 've eaten lots of good family Italian and Spanish restaurants, so to go to New York to do the same would be a bit daft.
    I would love to eat properly cooked octopus and/or pigs trotters although not on the same plate ;). It's been a long time since i've had either of them and they are things that are next to impossible to buy in Glasgow to make myself. I lie, I could find octopus, but no one to eat it with. . .

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Craft: 43 East 19th Street, between Broadway and Park Avenue South. (212) 780-0880. BTW: they are open for lunch Monday to Friday from noon until 2.

For good octopus, my opinion is that you pretty much have to go to a Greek restaurant -- in Manhattan, I've enjoyed it at Molyvos, Uncle Nick's, and Thalassa (a new fish restaurant way downtown not far from me). For offal and organ meats, you can't beat one of Mario Batali's places -- Lupa is first-come, first-served, so it might be easier than Babbo (which is heavenly); his new place, Otto, may not have that kind of stuff.

Oh, and Nobu and Nyonya are terrific -- and Nyonya is ridiculously inexpensive. :D

9. chef1x

chef1x

From what I see, maybe you should check out something like citysearch.com to get addresses and numbers, etc. If you are not inclined to spend over $25 and don't want to get all gussied up, SAME HERE, may I make the following suggestions, based upon what I know about you: tourist, budget, adventurous?
    There are a LOT of great Greek places in Astoria, a relatively short subway from Times Square:

Elias Corner combines many elements of a truly unique experience. Octopus rules. You won't find much else like it.

Karyatis is maybe a bit more formal, but fantastic food, good prices. Great sweetbreads, octopus.

For some great Med. food, though sometimes hit or miss, in a great neighborhood:

Acquario, the sardines are really good. Good pasta. Cheap, quaint, friendly.

Come to BROOKLYN!!! A 30min subway ride to THE GROCERY on SMITH ST,
    ROSE WATER on Union ST. Both truly AMERICAN with lots of nice ethnic, med. twists. Affordable, casual.

OOOh, and MELTEMI on First Ave and something. I found this while randomly wandering about while staying at a nearby hotel,not far from Times Square. Mostly what I can remember is the octopus. I'm pretty sure they offer it a couple different ways.

If you can't locate any of these places let me know.

10. rachel

rachel

Thank you so much for your help. I have bought my guidebooks, written down the names and addresses of the restaurants what I ate when I get back!

11. charlieboy

charlieboy

Try this great site www.chowhound.com and ask the same question there. You'll get tons of information on restaurants in NYC.
    Have a great time!
    :)

12. chef1x

chef1x

:) Chowhound, NOT.

Fava, in Brooklyn, take F train to 7th Ave., it's right there. Budget place. I'm getting delivery from them tonight. Good taste of people watching at the crossroads of Park Slope!:) Down the street 2 blocks on 9th st. is Bocaccio Grill. On the right just past the post office. Kinda bizarre location, but good food, great price.