New York Wines

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by leezachris, Apr 15, 2004.

1. leezachris

leezachris

Has anyone started drinking NYS wines? (I'm originally from Upstate New York - but it's been a while since I've strayed from my California/French/Italian preferences) What are your feelings? Any good recommendations?

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Oh, absolutely YES!!!!! The wine industry in New York has made some incredible leaps; in just 25 years, the North Fork of Long Island is putting out some really good stuff. We especially like Paumanok's Chardonnays and Chenin Blanc: the chards are not overly-oaked like the ones from CA, and the CB is just a lovely, crisp wine. Schneider Cabernet Franc. We used to also like Macari Sparkling stuff, but haven't seen it lately.

From the Finger Lakes, we go with Dr. Frank Dry Riesling (the 2003 is just out, but needs to settle down a bit); Salmon Run Pinot Noir (also a Konstantin Frank wine); Wagner Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc.

If you are in the city, or can get in easily, check out Vintage New York, a shop with stores on the Upper West Side and in Soho. ALL New York State wines, and whatever they have in the store, you can taste. Very knowledgeable staff. And open 7 days a week, because it is considered the retail outlet of a NYS winery (I forget which one, but Susan Wine is a co-owner of both).

3. leezachris

leezachris

Thanks so much Suzanne!! I'll give that shop a try (actually, I think I've seen it before, but just haven't gone in) - and I'll ask at my local wine shop. I look forward to a tasting -maybe I'll have some friends over....hmmmm