new visitor

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by porkchopboy, Jun 2, 2003.

1. porkchopboy

porkchopboy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hello everybody. I'm Dino, once living in Seattle but for the last 6 years I've been living in Manila, Philippines with my wife of almost 9 years Gina and our 3 kids. we met in Culinary school(new england culinary institute). currently we are working for ourselves at home, because we were working for ourselves at our restaurant but unfortunaltly due to many circumstances(the list grows very long) we closed after 4 years. we are thinking of moving back to the USofA and have pegged Minneapolis as our next home. this may or may not happen within a year so if anyone has any advice on relocating to Minneapolis i'd love it.
    oh yes, it is kind of a culinary blackhole here so my knowledge of the happenings in America are kind sketchy and I'm kind of worried that I may not measure up to the young ones when I get back in terms of the trends, please direct me to any good information on recent happenings in the rest of the world.

thanks alot, porkchopboy

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome, Porkchopboy. We're glad you found us! It sounds like you have plenty of experience to share. We hope to see you here often.

What interesting foods and dishes do you prepare in your part of the world?

3. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome aboard! There are tons of sharing individuals that will jump in to offer up whatever they can to share their insight.
    Glad you found us!

4. porkchopboy

porkchopboy

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    thanks folks, glad to be here. mezzaluna where in wisconsin are you from? i lived in Delavan, wi for 14 years.
    well the type of food that most are doing here is native cuisine with one kind of twist or another. was doing mediterranean which worked for a little while.
    the food here is basically a mix of Malay, Chinese, indigenous, Spanish and American influences. my favorite would be from the Bicol region. they love coconut and chilies. Gabi (taro) leaves wrapped around pork fat and simmered in coconut is my favorite.
    the "national dish" is Chicken Adobo, chicken that is simmered in soy sauce, cane vinegar and garlic. It is a variation of the Mexican Adobo because the Spanish ruled the Philippines through Mexico.
    they just adapted it to their taste here. yummy, is it lunchtime yet?

5. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey Dino!!!! So glad you found the site. I was really glad to hear from you (Dino & I were in culinary school together). I wouldn't worry too much about not being up on the trends. There seems to be so many different things going on in this country right now that is room for chefs with all sorts of various backgrounds. Besides, maybe you can get Philipino food ''off the ground'' here. That seems to be an ethnic food that seems to be lacking in many cities!!

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Any friend of Pete's is a friend of ours!

Porkchopboy, I have lived in S.E. Wisconsin for almost 29 years, and know a bit about Delevan. We honeymooned at Lake Lawn Lodge! I'm in Pewaukee now, 20 miles or so west of Milwaukee. It's almost a planet away from where you are now, I imagine.

The cuisine sounds lucious!

7. mike

mike

porkchop boy.......great handle !!!! I might change mine to lobster dude !!!! welcome

8. happy_baker

happy_baker

Philipino.. it should be spelled Filipino :)
    I love to bake and i'm also from the Philippines. Dino do you think there's no future here in culinary?