New USDA organic standards or Why our small farmers don't want certification

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Last weekend I set up a workshop for the famer's market...marketing, selling, booth appearance AND what's happening now with organic certification.

Well, it was the last section of the day and it ran over an hour...longer if you include the talking in the parking lot. I'm lining up a collaborative St. Louis forum so that this new ISSUE can be explained to groups in the community.
Basically the USDA's new regs have a minimum requirement and a maximum (which is rarely done)> This means that the local farmer can only claim organic if they are ceritfied using generally lower standards then they are using now. The word "Organic" is owned by the gov't and you may not use it if you aren't certified under their regs. These were essentially set-up for large companies that want to have a cut of the burgeoning organic market yet not put in the sustainable aspect....(ie monocropping verses multicrop). It HURTS our small farmers, ALOT> they explained how organic certification is set up (paper wise) to be used by large farmers....you have to fill out paper work on each variety of crop grown. It will kick them out of the
World Market, because the European and Japanese organic standards are much higher than those proposed.... with the maximum cap it will make American organic not in the running.
There are petitions being circulated now and I'll see about getting a site listed for those interested in finding out more or e-mailing the appropriate gov't body.
The gov't at it's worst.
I'm shaking my head as I write this wondering how after 10 years of setting this up the USDA arrived at such a highly contensious document.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
I agree with that statement 95% of the time...there are still some politicians that have good ethics...it's just what do they have to compromise to get the legislation they want passed....

I was married for 15 years to an attorney, and the "no answer is an answer" hit home...as well as never assume anything.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Thank you Crudeau!

Lynn Casper Rossetto talked on NPR yesterday about GM's being allowed in foods without labeling she said April 1st is the date for public response....anyone know an address for us to respond to....
TIA

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Thank you Crudeau!!! I asked the USDA extension service to come and answer questions from the general forum. Should be an interesting evening. 4/11 if you guys aren't doing anything......

Joined Aug 11, 2000
OOPs sorry guys, I reread what I'd typed and there is some ambiguity. They are speaking in St. Louis to the general public. I can see if they would like to answer questions here if you are interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom