New type of burger bun?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by redbeerd cantu, Apr 7, 2017.

1. redbeerd cantu

redbeerd cantu

Exp:
    St. Philip's College Culinary Arts (AAS, Cum Laude), International Kitchens
    Developed a burger. Need a bun that has a flavor reminiscent of hard corn taco shells.

Could I possibly use corn flour or maseca to bring that element to the flavor profile, and keep the classic American burger bun texture?

Help?

Peace

RedBeerd

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I'm sure one of the bakers on here can give a more complete answer but in the meantime, why not just use a standard bun recipe and substitute half the flour with fine corn meal. A bit of experimenting should get you there. 

3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    ... or "crunchify" with Doritos or plain tortilla chips

... or serve in a gordita. This won't have the American bun fluffy texture but it will have authentic flavor.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Corn meal won't give you the flavor of "taco shells.  That distinct flavor comes from the special processing that the corn goes before being turned into masa.  But I agree, I would start with a dough made with half flour and half masa harina  and go from there.

5. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    Any idea what the process is? I always thought corn flour, corn meal, corn grits were the same, just ground finer or courser and masa was the Mexican or Spanish word for corn. 

6. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Nixtamalization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

Maize = corn

Masa = dough

Masa de maize = corn dough, but is often shortened to just "masa"

There are also different types of masa de maize - e.g. masa harina, masa de tamal

7. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Actually grits are more closely related to masa as the corn for grits also goes through the same process.  I'm not sure what accounts for the difference in taste between the 2 final products though.  I don't know if it is the type of corn, the type of alkaline or the way it is processed.

8. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    This.

mimi

9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Masa is ground hominy (corn soaked in lime or lye). Cornmeal is ground dried corn.

As to the original question, you got my wheels spinning. Might just have to play around this weekend. I'm thinking a mix of finely ground corn tacos and bread flour.

10. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The ground taco shells might add some texture but they could also add some unwanted grease to your buns. Personally, I would try the masa harina first as it will provide the flavor and a slightly courser texture but no grease and nowadays its pretty easy to find.

11. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I would do two things first:

1. Master the Gordita (not intending to be obnoxious by repeating myself but that's a really great thing done by some of our local hot dog vendors)

2. Use tortilla chips in lieu of sesame seeds on a regular bun.

Or rip off Flay and put the chips in the burger (but I think he actually ripped off someone else since I'm twice his age and remember doing that with both peanut butter and tuna fish sandwiches... and I think I learned that from my Uncle who had a Charley,s Chip route back when they did mine delivery)

12. pete

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never made Gordita's but make Pupusas on a semi regular basis, which they are kind of similar to, I believe.  While they would work fine for an interesting twist on a burger bun, I'm wondering if an Arepas dough might not  work a bit better.  The flour for Arepas uses the same processed corn as for masa harina, which is what Gorditas and Pupusas use, but it is ground a bit finer and the recipes I've made for Arepas create a dough that, while it still has a nice crust, tends to be a bit lighter and fluffier in the middle.

13. sgmchef

sgmchef

Exp:
    Retired Chef
         If you decide to try adding some corn meal, corn flour, or masa harina to a dough, I would recommend taking 50% of of your chosen corn product and toasting in a 325F (165C) oven for 20 minutes to develop a flavor I like. Toasted corn!

Good Luck!

SGM Chef

Don't take my word for it, I wouldn't trust me either!

14. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Arepa would be awesome. Totally different taste and texture from a corn tortilla. Love them but still can't make a decent one myself. I wasn't aware that arepa was nixtamaled. I know it's pre-cooked, at least PAN brand is, and the ingredients just say "precooked white corn meal". Thanks for mentioning Arepas because the bag I have has a best-before-date of 04 May 10... so it's about time I used it up!

15. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    I was just gonna suggest....you will have to make a mashup and invent a name cuz the Alamo City knows their mexmex ;-)

Love texmex carbs could eat them every day if summer (with the requisite tanks and shorts ) was not looming on the horizon.

Gag...watch what you eat...go to the gym...cuz you don't want any whispers when you show up at the cleaning tables.... "is mimi packing some holiday lbs this year...need to check pix from last summer".

Women are brutal.

mimi

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  16. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree that adding masa to a burger bun is a good starting point. Just a quick google search confirms that we aren't the first with the idea...there appeared to be several that would work. Arepas are also an interesting choice, though I fear that they would tend to fall apart/crumble under the weight of a burger. 

There was a recipe too for a cornbread brioche bun...looked really good. Might try something like that too. 

Let us know how it turns out

17. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Maybe start with an arepas recipe?

mjb.