New to wine

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by hendel, Aug 15, 2004.

1. hendel

hendel

At the ripe old age of forty something I decide it might be time for to learn something about wine. I could use some help can anyone recomed a book or a site to help me get started.

Thanks

Tom aka Hendel

2. markv

markv

Tom:

Believe it or not I would start with the "Wine for Dummies" book. It really is an excellent book for someone starting from scratch. They also have a "White wine for dummies" and a "Red wine for dummies." I would start with the generic wine for dummies.

Even with my knowledge of my wine, I still go back to the dummies book for information.

As you start to advance yourknowledge you may want a more detailed book. There are two good ones. Hugh Johnson's World Atlas of Wine and the Larousse Encyclopedia of wine.

It also wouldn't hurt to subscribe to a wine magazine. It helps keep you abreast of recenet trends, vintages, and prices.

Welcome fellow oenophile. Soon you'll be addicted too.

Mark

3. josephreese

josephreese

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I find it helpful to visit local wineries and talk with the people there. They understand that a healthy industry depends on interested consumers, so don't be shy about asking questions.

I also started taking notes about the wines. Nothing in-depth. Just certain things about the wines that leap to mind. For example, the smell of the Blanc de Blancs at Mumm remind me of ocean spray. If notice a particular fruit I try to note it. If nothing else, note-taking reminds me to be present with the wine.

4. pumpkingrl

pumpkingrl

I am new to wine too and I appreciate the suggestions you guys have given.

Thanks.