New to the Site wanted to Introduce myself

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by devildogchef2b, Aug 24, 2003.

1. devildogchef2b

devildogchef2b

Hello, I'm a career changer looking to move into the culinary field, and hopefully live out a dream. I spent 4 years in the Marines, and then have spent most every year since pursuing a higher education with no avail. I've been working in retail for over 8 years now, and have come to the realization that it's not for me. I have applied to attend school at Scottsdale Culinary Institute in July of next year. I've read some threads from others who have enrolled there, and I'm excited to see others going there as well, and hope to learn some things before I get started so as to know what to expect. Great site.. thanks

2. katbalou

katbalou

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    as the SO would say, "Semper Fi". and the devil dog kind of told me where you were from. enjoy the forums!
    kat

3. devildogchef2b

devildogchef2b

Thanks for the Welcome Kat, and I hope that like many on here I will join the ranks of Chef's in a year or so. I still have to do the paperwork for getting student aid, but I don't forsee that to be a problem. I am a bit weary, but I don't want to jinx this, so positive all the way.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to Chef Talk, DevilDogChef! I hope you hang out at the Culinary Students' forum as well as enjoying all this great board and the main Chef Talk site have to offer.

Please tell us a bit about your cooking background, what you like to cook, what has influenced you, etc.

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

5. devildogchef2b

devildogchef2b

Well my interest in cooking started in high school with spagetti sauce, and my sauce developed into a family favorite, and I once had a Russian guest rave over it. I'm not sure how much pasta sauce the gentleman had in his past, but I was please that my sauce was after that somewhat worldly. grin I bought my first cookbook in and around that time and still have it to this day. The title of the book is "The Silver Palate Cookbook" authored by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins with Michael McLaughlin. From this very book I began an education into the culinary world. From then on I had a hunger to find out what some of the ingredients were in many of the recipes. After figuring them out I was overjoyed to finally know what this thing was, like Prosciutto ham, and various other items. So I can say I sort of owe my love of cooking to these two ladies and their spectacular cookbook. The rest they say is history. I can also thank both of my grandmothers and my mother for their talents in the kitchen. It's quite funny that my brother and I are the two who spent the most time in the kitchen, instead of our 4 sisters. I look forward to a career in the culinary field, and should I enter school in July of next year, join the esteemed chef's who wear the Le Cordon Bleu seal. To me it's akin to wearing the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. Semper Fi...and godspeed in the kitchen...

6. saffron

saffron

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Welcome to Chef Talk...I too am new to the board and have found members to be passionate, entertaining and extremely supportive in almost every area that one requests.

Enjoy and maybe someday we can share our Best Sauce recipes!

All the best in your culinary ventures.
    Saffron:chef:

7. futurechef212

futurechef212

I would also like to welcome you too, Devildog. I am also a new person here and I hope you will enjoy this site as much as I do!

Kirsten

8. mike

mike

Welcome Devil Dog, I guess you cooked a few Iraquis , sorry, couldnt resist it. Good luck & I would recommend Elizabeth David as inspirational source material to read.