New to the restaurant world

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cafe olive, Jun 21, 2013.

1. cafe olive

cafe olive

I opened a restaurant about two months ago and the learning curve seems endless. I welcome any advice or suggestions.

I am in the process of looking for a new chef. We need a strong leader, with passion for their craft and creativity.

I had to remove our current chef for negativity and dependency problems. Not the environment I want for my restaurant. If you know anyone in the Wilmington NC area looking let me know.

2. cheflayne

Welcome to the forums.

I had been working in the industry for 20 years, in every capacity FOH/BOH, when I opened my restaurant and was still amazed to learn how much I didn't know. Yeah the learning curve is real and endless /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif.

Good luck on your chef search. I wish I had some sage advice on finding quality employees, but on that subject, the years haven't made me any wiser. It is still a crap shoot because talk is cheap, anybody can do it.

The main thing I look for in potential new hires is attitude. That trumps experience in my book. Job skills, I can teach. Life skills (or lack of) have pretty much already been set in stone by the time they walk in my door.

Congrats on your restaurant. Enjoy!/img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif