New to scratch baking..

Joined May 14, 2004
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good books on scratch baking. I enjoy cake decorating and have been using box mixes, but I'm wanting to start using scratch cakes exclusively... I've been experimenting and have tried some great scratch recipes, but would love to learn how to tweak the not so good ones. I also want to learn about the science behind baking..

Thanks!!

Tami

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Hi Tami -

I would recommend two books. The first is called The Baker's Dozen Cookbook. It is written by a collection of some of the best professional baker's in the country, and includes scratch recipes of all kinds; breads, cookies, and of course cakes :)

THe second book is called CookWise by Shirley Corriher. The book is a great source of info on food science and how to tweek to get what you want.

Kyle

Joined May 14, 2004
Thank you for your help... I do have the cake bible and will try one of the other titles Kyle recommended. :)

Tami

Joined Apr 13, 2004
Since you stated you wanted the Science behind the baking one book comes to mind because that is what they are famous for ,the science aspect of baking and cooking. PBS has a series " Americas test Kitchen" and its put on by Cooks Illustrated and they have a ton of books. They just put out not to long ago a Book called " Baking Illustrated , The Practical Kitchen Companion for the Home Baker ". Its a great book .

Joined Nov 29, 2001
Cake Bible!! Cake Bible!!

:bounce: . o O (I cast my vote for the Cake Bible!)

Also, for bread - Bernard Clayton's Book of Breads. Incredible recipes that work really well.

Top Bottom