New to resturant steaks

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by charlie, Apr 13, 2006.

1. charlie

charlie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I've cooked in the bar scene for years, fry this grill that, but am now going in on a venture that we are going to serve steaks and am looking for a little help. I've got a 36" radiant broiler and a 36" flat grill. Any help is appreciated.:talk:

2. charlie

charlie

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I've owned and cooked in a bar & grill for years (fry this grill that) but I,m in a new venture where we are going to serve steaks, prime rib, and some seafood. Could use some suggestions.:lips:

3. n00bchef

n00bchef

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Well, first thing is to make sure you have a supplier of meat that provides quality.. (I suppose that is a given). Depending on what class of food you are serving, you may want to consider familiarizing yourself with dry aging... This can really be a signature for your restaurant if you know how to do it well.

The next thing is to make sure that you are very familiar with the various methods of grilling. Understanding how to cook and grill different types of steak are very important. You will also need to have a healthy understanding of what meat comes from what part of the cow and also understand what types of meats need to be cooked what ways... Prime Rib != New York steak in preparation. (Braising will be a very important technique to understand).

Also get to know your sharp/dry cheeses... in some cuts of meat the right cheese combination really makes the dish.. (e.g. a juicy London Broil sprinkled with aged bleu cheese is an amazing flavor combination.)

Wine pairing will also be important for steaks... a good red wine selection will not only make your picky customers happy, but will also increase the reputation of your cuisine.

Anyway, thats all I can think of for now... I would suggest finding a few good grilling/BBQ books at your local book store and reading through the techniques and recipes in them.

4. deltadoc

deltadoc

Know if you're getting cow meat or steer meat, and that's no bull! :)

doc

5. higjse

higjse

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    cow meat = bad

lots of companies trying to push cow tenders these days :cry:

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello Charlie and welcome to Chef Talk. I'm going to move your question to a forum that's better for a cooking question.

Come on back to the Welcome Forum to introduce yourself when you get a chance.

Welcome!
    Mezzaluna

7. aquatic cow

aquatic cow

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I like a charbroiler the best, but my tip is,and you can try it yourself, kosher salt. Diamond crystal is the only one. Mortons makes one, but they put a anti-caking something or other in their's. Not good. Salt and pepper a good rib-eye, be very generous with kosher salt,it will bring out the flavor like you would'nt believe it. try it without the kosher, you'll see.