New to Florida

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by morty, Jun 12, 2005.

1. morty

morty

I am a Pastry Chef in Sarasota, Florida and am seeking advice on dealing with the humidity when decorating cakes. Is there anything to do in order to prevent so much "sweating" of the Buttercream. Is bucket B.C. my only alternative? How do you get ahead on assemling cakes if the sweat as soon as you pull them from the cooler? I am not used to so much humidity and I don't have a sealed kitchen. Thanks

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Morty, this is a pastry question, so I'll move it to an appropriate forum where our baking experts will be more likely to see it. (The Welcome Forum is only for introductions.)

Good luck!
    Mezzaluna

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Welcome, Morty!

I know, the humidity can destroy cakes--especially those draped in fondant or marzipan.

Air conditioning, as well as a blowing fan can help. Someone here once recommended "Damp Rid", but I've never used it for this purpose. I suppose, if it's used in a small enough space, it might help prevent condensation, but of course, keep it far away from your cake!

When a client asks me to do a fondant cake in the summer, I make sure that they understand the risks involved, and if they prefer a styrofoam cake, I'll do that, with a backup in the kitchen.