New site looks great!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Keep in mind that how a page behaves and looks greatly depends on your machine and browser.
Thanks halb, but the behavior I described does not depend on your machine and browser, it can be reproduced on any machine running any browser. To put my comments into context, I have been making a living designing and maintaining my own forum for the past 20+ years.

The shifting of the content on the page depends only on the width of the browser window and the text displayed. IMO it's a design flaw to have the text displayed take more space when hovering, which sometimes (not always) results in the page content being shifted. The content is shifted when the browser window width is such that hovering the text requires displaying it on 3 lines rather than 2. I understand this happens in specific conditions, however IMO this should never happen.

Here's another example:
cheftalk-bug2.gif

Last edited:
Joined May 25, 2015
You'll also notice that the with the topics that do that, when you mouse over "Last Message" the date moves over and the last poster moves below it. That doesn't happen with other topics in your example. You're saying that behavior has to do with the length of text in the title on the left? Because I'm not seeing that. The "Last Message" text goes to three lines but I'm not seeing any shifting.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
You'll also notice that the with the topics that do that, when you mouse over "Last Message" the date moves over and the last poster moves below it.
I don't "also" notice that. That is exactly what I was describing. Note that it also happens when you mouse over the topic name.

That doesn't happen with other topics in your example.
Because on other topics the date and last poster name etc... aren't the same length, which is what I was trying to explain.

You're saying that behavior has to do with the length of text in the title on the left?
No, it has to do with the length of the text needed to be displayed in a designated space, in this case the date/last message/last poster space changing from 2 lines to 3 lines.

The "Last Message" text goes to three lines but I'm not seeing any shifting.
When it goes to three line all the other topics below are shifted further toward the bottom of the page. For example on the last screenshot I posted, look at the position of the topic "Banned for spam" shifting as I'm hovering the topic above it.

Honestly the screenshots are enough to display the issue. Show them to any web design professional and they'll spot the bug right away. Text shouldn't change size when you hover it, period. It can change color, be underlined, be highlighted, or change background color, but not size, ESPECIALLY not if changing size results in shifting other content on the page — but even if it didn't shift other content I personally think it should never happen.

Last edited:
Joined May 25, 2015
I don't "also" notice that. That is exactly what I was describing. Note that it also happens when you mouse over the topic name.

Because on other topics the date and last poster name etc... aren't the same length, which is what I was trying to explain.

No, it has to do with the length of the text needed to be displayed in a designated space, in this case the date/last message/last poster space changing from 2 lines to 3 lines.

When it goes to three line all the other topics below are shifted further toward the bottom of the page. For example on the last screenshot I posted, look at the position of the topic "Banned for spam" shifting as I'm hovering the topic above it.

Honestly the screenshots are enough to display the issue. Show them to any web design professional and they'll spot the bug right away. Text shouldn't change size when you hover it, period. It can change color, be underlined, be highlighted, or change background color, but not size, ESPECIALLY not if changing size results in shifting other content on the page — but even if it didn't shift other content I personally think it should never happen.
I do understand exactly what you are saying but I'm not seeing any of what you are.

I did have a similar problem with the old site and ads. The ads would be updated every 15 seconds with new ones. There was maybe one second between the ads when there was nothing in that space so the whole page would shift up and down each time the ad changed. Nobody seemed to know what to do about it and it was another case of everybody wasn't seeing that problem. That problem was solved for me when I enabled Firefox's native ad blocker.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I do understand exactly what you are saying but I'm not seeing any of what you are.

I did have a similar problem with the old site and ads. The ads would be updated every 15 seconds with new ones. There was maybe one second between the ads when there was nothing in that space so the whole page would shift up and down each time the ad changed. Nobody seemed to know what to do about it and it was another case of everybody wasn't seeing that problem. That problem was solved for me when I enabled Firefox's native ad blocker.
Yeah but it's not the same here. What I'm describing is a design flaw, plain and simple. The fact that you're not experiencing it doesn't make it any less of a flaw/bug, so I'm not sure why you keep hammering on that, but it's a bit frustrating when trying to report a bug. Note that two other people in this thread have confirmed they're seeing the same thing I am. You haven't seen this issue only because you haven't been in that specific situation I describe (yet). I could easily reproduce the issue on any browser on any system.

If web design isn't your job, I understand that you might not understand what I'm describing but trust me, any web design professional would spot the issue right away only by looking at my screenshots, so I would recommend Nicko forwards them onto his web design team. I'm only responding to Nicko's request:

Please keep the team updated on any bugs or issues you find.

Joined May 25, 2015
Well, maybe they made some changes because I'm not seeing any of the the "Last Message" text going to three lines anymore.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Nicko, I haven't seen you this excited since I saw the pictures of you roasting a goat.
You have to keep in mind I have been running this site since 1999 after so many years you burn out a bit and so it is great to see some new life go into the community.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
french fries french fries the shifting can be a jarring experience and in general not a good UI experience. I will work with the team and see if we can resolve the jumpiness.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Hey lLl this thread is getting really long. So to help us out each time you find an issue like french fries french fries jumpiness issue can you create a new thread in the Site Feedback and Suggestions. It will be easier for us to handle each defect this way.

Joined Mar 21, 2008
Back to reading new posts... I don't want to see what is new in EVERY sub forum. Say I open Food & Cooking, I want to be able to jump to the first new post in a thread like the old forum allowed. I only read a couple of the forums and having to wade thru posts in forums I am not interested in is a pain in the butt!

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
Back to reading new posts... I don't want to see what is new in EVERY sub forum. Say I open Food & Cooking, I want to be able to jump to the first new post in a thread like the old forum allowed. I only read a couple of the forums and having to wade thru posts in forums I am not interested in is a pain in the butt!
When you go to a discussion if there are new posts you should see this button up at the top:

Screen Shot 2019-10-18 at 3.16.06 PM.png

Joined Sep 5, 2008
french fries french fries the shifting can be a jarring experience and in general not a good UI experience. I will work with the team and see if we can resolve the jumpiness.
Great, thanks a lot Nicko. It should be easy to resolve, just a hover CSS state to change so that the text doesn't change size when hovered.

Top Bottom