New restaurant Purchasing equipment

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by erickl201, Jan 12, 2017.

1. erickl201

erickl201

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Hi all,

I`m opening a new restaurant Pizza / fresh pasta concept, and while I have plenty of experience working and managing kitchens I`v never actually had to buy equipment for a new kitchen. I`m more or less set on all cooking equipment and small prep equipment also tables shelving etc. Some of my concerns would be Espresso machines they`re so expensive ?!?!?! should I go with a lease or a refurbished or right out buy a new machine? Would it help out to set up a contract with a coffee company such as lavazza or someone similar to get discounts? I would absolutely love if theres someone out there to correspond with! 

Thanks a bunch!

Erick

2. vic cardenas

vic cardenas

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Look for used ones on your local craigslist or other classifieds. 

3. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    The first thing you need to do is make a complete list of equipment needed.  Don't forget hoods, HVAC, dish, drains, and all the other things.  You will find the Espresso machine is not the  big expense.

4. erickl201

erickl201

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Yes, like I said most of the large equipment is already planned for. We're working with an architect and have my equipment guy corresponding. Currently in the process of signing the lease for the location. Once signed we start construction. Also liquor license is at the initial steps.

5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Oh dear...

You don't need or want an artichoke (aka architect). You need a mechanical engineer to design and sign off on a ventilation system, you might need a structural engineer to sign off for any holes in load bearing walls ( ventilation shafts, a/c and refrigeration lines, p.umbing or electrical lines, holes in the floor slab for grease traps and floor drains) you need a good general contractor with years of restaurant experience to tender quotes and keep on top of the plumbers, electricians, and hvac guys, but more importantly knows what the coty licensingbinspectors want to see. Oh, and you need someone who knows refrigeration.

A gas range is useless eithout ventilation and fire supression, a dishwasher is useless without hot water boilers, dishpits and prep sinks are useless without grease traps, a lousy food equipment salesperson would rather sell you 4 reach in fridges and 3 reach in freezers rather than a decent walk-in fridge/freezer combo. An espresso machine is useless without at least a 220 3phase circuit and plumbing connections.

No architect will know what I just told you, and I know this because my brother, his wife, and most of his friends are all artichokes. They don't even know a walkin door swings out, not in.

millionsknives likes this.
  6. erickl201

erickl201

Exp:
    Sous Chef
    Thanks Food pump, 

I appreciate your concerns and we are in the process of designing the kitchen layout. The architect will forward our plans to engineer and contractor then we will meet and start approving these plans. Fortunately we`ve spoken about a lot of these concerns you brought up, Grease traps are being planned for we`re going with an untempered hood ventilation and ansul system. We still have a lot of licensing to get done so we`re still in that process including liquor licensing that is in its first phase. I`m sure I`m missing a lot off the top of my head this is what I can remember.

I have been trying to figure out how to design the straight light lowboys for the hot line. Does anyone know if this is a custom build or is there a Style of lowboy I should be looking at? Here is a video of a design that I am modeling it after. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f7g5eyp11c8jg2/20170115_075222.mp4?dl=0

Thanks,

Erick