New recipe tweaks.

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by Tom R, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Tom R

Tom R

Exp:
    None
    Recently came up with a new dish based around an existing recipe for seared scallops with an orange vermouth sauce. I did them over fried blue cheese polenta cakes, with arugula and caramelized onions. Came out fairly well but considering a couple of tweaks for next time. I did not dress the arugula the first time and I am considering that but I'm concerned about addressing clashing with the orange vermouth sauce. Also thinking to add some bacon or pancetta with the caramelized onions as bacon and scallops are such a classic combination. Thoughts?

2. Chef Jason Scott

Chef Jason Scott

Exp:
    death
    Hey tom,Hi,
    Try dressing the arugula. I am a firm believer It needs to be dressed at least salt and olive oil at minimum, try a few simple ways that will react to the vermoth sauce.
    Lemon/suttle blood orange vin. As far as the bacon, if you create it the classic way or with a twist.a few smoked lardones rendered. Yumm.
    hey let me know, send a pic of it.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would definitely dress the arugula. I would do a light vinaigrette with olive oil and some sort of fresh squeezed citrus juice. Orange would be the first to consider although any number of different citrus juices would work well and compliment your vermouth sauce.

4. Tom R

Tom R

Exp:
    None

Thanks Chef Jason! A little lemon vin is about what I was thinking. Please tell me what you mean exactly by preparing bacon "in the classic way"? Just fried and crumbled and added to the onion? The lardons idea is why I was considering pancetta rather than bacon, to get those tasty little cubes in there. Thanks!

5. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Can you try dressing the arugula with olive oil and a few drops of balsamic? I think balsamic and citrus would compliment each other.

6. iceman

iceman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I'm backing what Pete said; citrus vinaigrette. You've got a bunch of flavors going with that dish.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Orange vermouth sounds very good (have noted it in my holiday menu plan for SOMETHING) and balsamic would play well against that blue chz in the cake but would push the dish off the cliff.
    @iceman hit the spot with his "bunch of flavors" comment.
    You have to be very careful re how much is too much.
    A food critic would trot out the phrase palate confusion lol.
    mimi

iceman likes this.