New Rangetop Griddle Question

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by dhuston, Feb 23, 2013.

1. dhuston

dhuston

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I just got a 48 inch rangetop with a 12 inch griddle and I am in love with the griddle!  I seasoned it following the manufactures recommendations but I am wondering how to get a nice black patina on it like you see in on most cooking shows. I so want that non stick flavorful surface to cook on!  I know that a restaurant griddle gets a whole lot more use than mine, is it just a time thing to build up the patina? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Time or use - either will work.

try cooking just oil on it - better yet just keep cooking bacon and then freezing the done stuff.

3. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My experience the last few years is that the packaged, name brand bacon isn't all that non-stick, probably has been cured with a fairly high sugar content.  The thick sliced stuff I get from the meat counter works better.  But the thinner slices are better on bacon cheeseburgers, which I eat about 3 times a year.

mjb.

4. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    bacon was just a fun yummy thing to cook.

Better off with a block of crisco but it doesn't fry up or taste so nice.

5. dhuston

dhuston

Exp:
    Home Cook
    What do you mean when say "cook oil on it"?  Should I just put some crisco on it and let it just stay on.  What temp should i turn it on to?  

6. michaelga

michaelga

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    temp really doens't matter much - but start with 350 - higher temps will be faster but tend to produce more smoke and potential for flames

smear crisco all over it - cook until it starts to smoke

lightly wipe of the excess with a scraper and let the remainder get really brown

let it cool, wipe with a lint free towel and then repeat

you want to build each layer up very thinly or you will get bumps/lines and grooves building up

a good sharp wide scraper can remove some of these if they develop... just don't scrape it down to the bare metal again

i've used 12" carbon steel dry-wall scraper to make the job go faster but smaller will work

go easy and slow or you'll have to re-do it

repeat this 4-6 times and you should get a really nice dark brown burnished color - like that on a good wok 

over time it will turn black