New Orleans Revisited

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by kevinvilla, Feb 26, 2006.

1. kevinvilla

kevinvilla

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I plan on going to New Orleans in July, and I was wondering if you guys know any awesome restaurants in the French Quarter that are still open. Speaking of which, thank God Cafe Du Monde is still there.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    July... in New Orleans? Plan for HOT.....really hot!!! At this time restaurants are just reopening, it'll be better to start looking 2-3 weeks prior to your visit. I've got a feeling there is going to be an awful lot of flex in that market for a while.
    That being said the past archives on New Orleans restaurants are pretty much thorough.....

3. kevinvilla

kevinvilla

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thanks for the advice. Btw, I saw the other threads, I just wasn't sure if the restaurants they mentioned were still open.

4. fairfieldchef

fairfieldchef

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Here is a link to the New Orleans paper online. Lots of recommendations and you can check websites to see what restaurants are open. Remember, because of Katrina of the almost 4000 places to eat in the N.O. area almost half of them have yet to reopen, and many never will. Don't forget that many of the restaurants may have limited hours and/or reduced menu selections because of lack of staff. The picture may be a little better by July.

A fellow chef is friends with the folks that own Brennan's. She said they are hoping to be open by June. I think Commander's Palace is open now, but not 100 percent sure.

"Pass a good time" :D and let us know how it is going in The Big Easy.

http://www.nola.com/dining/t-p/?/din...g05/index.html

5. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks Fairfieldchef! It's good to read who's back in business....
    Parasol, Mothers, Bayona, Peristyle, August.....all are gems....Jaque Imos is fun and the food is good! The bartender talked me into the alligator ap, said if I didn't like it he'd buy it....it was good!

6. kevinvilla

kevinvilla

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Thanks for the recommendations. If my plans fall through, I'll be sure to let you guys know how it's going.

7. fairfieldchef

fairfieldchef

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    Just a quick correction. Commander's Palace is NOT open. Talked with my co-worker today and she said that Brennan's, CP, and Mr. B's Bristo are hoping to reopen by this summer but no firm dates set.

8. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ugelisch's?

9. lollarossa

lollarossa

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Definately check out Mothers. It is on tchoptolouse (sp?) just outside of the Quarter. Good breakfast food, GREAT coffee! Do not sit down first....look at the menu on the wall and know what you want before you order, or May (if she is still ther, I hope) will send you to the back of the line. Have to go to Central Grocery for the Muffalatta. then there is this place...I think it had a coffee pot as it's sign, not sure what street.....excuse me, it has been a while since I was there....they had the best gumbo. Man just talkin about it...makes me wanna go back. I love that city. Hope it works out for ya.

10. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    coffee pot was on St. Peter's next to Pat O'Briens....a cagillion years ago in another lifetime they had callas (fried rice yeast dough balls with cane syrup)....buttermilk dressing prior to Ranch permiating the world as we know it, and just the most wonderful ambience in that little funky courtyard.

I catered an event last night with Emily Toth being the headliner. She's an author from LSU in Baton Rouge...we discussed who we knew, then she allowed that during the downtime of Brennans restaurants the Brennan family paid their staff....amazing, what graciousness....what generosity of resources as well as hope. Other restaurants have staff at various ends of the US...the Brennen's will have incredible loyalty from anyone that works for them or even just hears this story....it's a good life lesson to emulate;take care of those that build your business, be good to them and it will come back 10 fold. almost biblical.

NO Jazz Fest is in bloom, Bruce Springsten sang last weekend at the fest....brought the house (or race track) down. We used to go when my 24 year old was in diapers, the food was marvelous....what festivals have stuffed artichokes and etouffee? Gotta love the fact that passing a good time demands good food, no junky bleeck will do.