new one

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by shortamazon, Jan 5, 2004.

1. shortamazon

shortamazon

:) New one here, from Southern Ca. Just in my second career..Culinary Arts/Restuarant Managment. (was a preschool teacher) Into the middle of my 1st year and loving it, amoung the dings,cuts and burns! I do have some questions, that Ill always ask. I love to cook..but not always 24/7. I go crazy in my class with pastries/baking so Im thinking this will be my bext step more to learn. So pleased to finally find a place like this!! So much great stuff.

shortamazon

2. phoebe

phoebe

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome shortamazon! There are lots of us here who are on our second (third, fourth :crazy: ) careers. So you should find plenty of support and advice. And I would think that your pre-school teaching background is almost ideal when it comes to dealing with the organized chaos of a kitchen running at full tilt :D .

When you say that you "go crazy" in your baking class, does that mean it drives you crazy or you've fallen in love with baking and pastries?

3. shortamazon

shortamazon

:) Thank you for the warm welcome. Im enjoying this Culinary Arts/Resturant Managment more than I did when I was a preschool teacher. But I do miss te kids sometimes..different personalities to thier creativeness w/ helping my make something. I go crazy..lol..I love baking/ pastries. Yet..so does my family. :p Every day I make something or a invention of food. :)Im surprsed that at my age 32 Im not being much sterio- typed. Its only frustrating when the kids in my class (18-24) act like 2 year olds when the chef isnt around. Some of us had/ or continue to have expeirence of it.

Thank you for you welcome again...

shortamazon

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to the Cafe, shortamazon! Have a look around and enjoy the wealth of information and great fellowship here. I'm a teacher (middle school) and I agree that the ability to deal with five or then things at once and stay sane is a great advantage in a kitchen. I did a short stint in the kitchen while in college, so I have an inkling.

Enjoy yourself! We'll look forward to your posts.

5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Welcome to the cafe, be sure to check out Logan Worley's journal that he kept while going through culinary school at www.cheftalk.com "A Day In The Life Of An American Culinary Student".

6. shortamazon

shortamazon

Thank you for the warm welcome. I cant believe I didnt see that..life of culinary art student. Just got a job as "Student Manager" (for the new ones coming in. Ya!

shortamazon

7. mike

mike

Students behave if you give the naughty ones the potwash duties...or you can always beat them.