Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by poacher2, Mar 24, 2002.

1. poacher2

poacher2

New me mber, interested to chat to anyone!

2. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    Welcome to Cheftalk poacher2. :chef:

3. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi, poacher2, and welcome to Chef Talk. What are your culinary interests? Please tell us a bit about yourself.

4. poacher2

poacher2

Love chocolate.
    I came from england many years ago and find US chocolate not what it was at home. So I go to Canada to buy my candy bars.

5. kimmie

kimmie

Welcome Poacher2.

Canadian candybars??? Which ones do you like?

6. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome aboard!! Do tell about those Canadian candy bars!!

7. dlcantrell

dlcantrell

Exp:
    At home cook
    YUM! My father is from Manchester (go Manchester United!) and I was lucky enough to grow up on Flaked Chocolate.

The English have some wonderful chocolate and one of these days i'm going to figure out why (I think it has something to do with the butter fats).

Poacher2, I just got a "care package" from my father in law. Heinz baked beans, Ambrosia Devon custard, creamed rice, Heinz Treacle, Flake, Twirls, and P&G Tips. Needless to say, i'm going to be a bit wired at work this week. ;)

Can you get good sausages from Canada?

Cheers mate,
    Dave

8. poacher2

poacher2

Hi folks, hope you don't mind but I am going respond to al the coments at once.
    Care package from England, hm! CARE TO SHARE?
    I was born and raised in Buxton Derbyshore which is about 30 miles from Manchester. I am going home in late May and will fly into Manchester.
    Yes Canada has great sausage. Problem is you cannot bring raw meat products across the boarder. I make my own.

Which candy bars from Canada? All I will tell you is the last time the love of my life(better known as "she who must be obeyed") and I went to Canada we spent $200 in Safeway and a lot of it was candy.
    A bit about me?
    I am in Hibbing Minnesota, teach at the local Tech. Came to the US 20 years ago from England. If you want to know more please ask.

Man, you guys are friendly, this is great!

9. dlcantrell

dlcantrell

Exp:
    At home cook
    Care to share? **** yes me old fruit! If you're making sausages maybe we can do a swap. I will do a sticky toffee pudding, some pub onions, and bring the baked beans and Branston. You provide the bangers and mash!! yuMMmmMm

$200 at Safeway? I don't feel so bad now. I was scuba diving in Fort Lauderdale last week and they have a section with English foods (most is worthless) but grabbed all the cans of Chocolate Hob Nobs they had on the shelf, a few bottles of Branston pickle, and the last bottle of HP Curry. I also grabbed ever Galaxy bar in site for my daughters mom (she's from Leister) as a bargaining tool. ;)

Question, do you have a good kabob recipe? I can't find one to save my life and only get to have one when in Europe.

I'm hungry now, time to forage for food. =)

Dave

10. poacher2

poacher2

Know what you mean about the price of English food in the US
    The nice thing about Canada is the prices are reasonable.
    A bag of wine gums ( one of my weaknesses) in the English shop is $4.75 US here in the US, in Canada the same pack and brand is h$1.96 US.
    I also buy good cheese in Canada, and a new electric kettle, the jug type for $19 US.
    At school, we have been making steamed apple pudding. First time I made it, I realized it was almost 20 years since I had last made it.
    What do you do in MO?

11. dlcantrell

dlcantrell

Exp:
    At home cook
    Apple pudding? I don't think I have ever heard of it!! Looks like i'm going to have to do a bit of research and perhaps experiment on a recipe (I can hear my daughter cringe). :)

I run a computer department here in St. Louis. I used to be in the resturant business (working for a pastry chef) but got away from it while in college (got tired of the hours). I still bake and do pastries fairly often and sell fruit pies and cookies during the holidays.

If memory serves me right, a lot of the American candy companies lobbied for higher import taxes. We both know that Europian candies are better than American and I imagian that's why they lobbied for higher taxes (to keep from loosing business).

Dave

12. poacher2

poacher2

Dave,
    I use a basic steamed pudding recipe and add apple filling to it..
    Victor

13. isa

isa

Welcome to Chef Talk Poacher!

Anyone who likes chocolate is a friend of mine. ;)

14. poacher2

poacher2

Sure, when I see the light in your eyes, how I not believe in a little magic?