New Member.

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by papa, Feb 13, 2001.

1. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dear Nicko:

I just joined your forum and I subscribed to your newsletter. It is such a wonderful feeling to be part of a group that shares my passion for good food.

I would like to take this opportubnity to say hello to everybody in this forum. I am looking forward to participating in your discussions.

Thank you Nicko and all the others who are responsible for making this possible.

Best regards,

Papa :)

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Papa...

Welcome to chef talk.
    We are very happy to have with us and look forward to your participation in the boards.
    cc

3. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi Papa,

Another nutmegger!
    Pleasure to meet ya.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey, I just reliezed I have over 1000 posts!

I got to find another hobbie :eek:
    cc

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Thank you Tseanduran.

I see your in Maylasia...
    Can you tell us a little about yourself and what you are doing?
    Are you a student
    cc

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello, Papa, and welcome to the Cafe. I see we'll soon have to start a Connecticut forum here! Is it in the water, or what?

7. isa

isa

Welcome to Chef Talk!

8. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

welcome!!

9. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dear Friends:

I just wanted to say how much I appreciated your messages.

Thank you for making me feel so welcome! You are a very special group!

Best regards,

Papa

10. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Hey Papa Smurf!

An Olive Oil consultant? Sounds like a dream job! How do you like it? What's your fav?

Have you seen the article in the last Cooks Illustrated that compared store brands?

(oh, and Welcome!)

11. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Does everyone remember the banner we had up about a week ago for Papa's Haven Olive Oil? Well our new member Papa is that Papa. So feel free to ask him questions about olive oil, and also check out his very informative web site www.papashaven.com

12. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dear Anneke:

Thank you for your warm welcome!

Olive oil is a passion of mine. I believe that this passion for olive oil was instilled in me the moment I was baptized.

In Greek tradition, olive oil has purification qualities. During baptism, the godparent scrubs certain parts of the body of the baby with extra virgin olive oil to assure that it will grow up to be of good moral character. They scrub the hands so that the baby never steals, the mouth so that the baby never tells lies, etc.... It was that moment that I first tasted olive oil and I believe it left a long lasting impression on me.

I grew up in a family of restaurateurs and olive oil farmers. It was destined for me to develope the passion for this wonderful gift of nature.

I am afraid that I cannot answer your second question about which olive oil is the best. There are so many great olive oils produced around the world that I am afraid I might forget to mention some. Olive oil, and food in general, is a very personal affair. What is great to me might be merely good to another expert or vice versa. I will be more than happy to answer any other questions you might have about olive oil, its organoleptic qualities, cooking methods, etc....

I hope I answered your questions.

Best regards,

Papa

13. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Papa,

Thank you for sharing your story with us.
    I felt your passion behind that post.
    as I have grown in the world of chefs and hospitality I have really learned to respect things for the way mother nature intended it to be. I include Olive oil and wine with that.
    when I think of italian antipasto as an example...how simple it is,but you need to understand that it is ok to let nature sing in your food,simply grilled and roasted veggies drizzled with some wonderful fruity olive oil a pinch of salt and a few turn of your pepper mill and you have perfect food,ok a nice loaf of bread would be nice to.nature offers us an incredible array of produce to enjoy, Thank god that we in this era have the opputunity to still enjoy the finest the soil has to offer. Boy am I rambling, Maybe because it's V day and getting warmed up :)
    Hey papa, maybe you can share with the community how olive oil is made,from what olives ,how are there graded etc. I have a question for you. When the olives are pressed and go into the centerfuge to seperate the oils what happins to the juice?
    Is it tossed or is there a market for it?
    TIA
    Cape Chef Fellow nutmegger

BTW Papa, Who do you use for a distributer in the tri state area? Or are you direct seller to buyer?

[ 02-14-2001: Message edited by: cape chef ]

14. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Great question Cape Chef. I've always wondered that too.

Two months ago I was walking in the olive groves of Southern Spain and got to touch and feel a fresh olive in my hands. What an experience. It's amazing how a tender fruit that stains your hands like blueberries and tastes aweful can be turned into such wonderous products. Given that fresh olives are used for oil, I imagine the olive juice must be pretty nasty...?

15. isa

isa

I have to ask, and I mean no disrespect, but why did you choose the nick papa?

16. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    On vacation in Morocco, we visited a big pottery factory, where we learned that the enormous black plumes of smoke coming from the kilns result from the burning of olive pits. I was impressed by how they make use of every part of the olive. I never did think about the juice.

17. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Momoreg
    That's very interesting. Do you remember if there was a smell? What was it like?

18. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dear Friends:

I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of the interesting inquiries made yesterday about the olive oil production process and the uses to which the resulting “waste” material are put. Although greater detail may be found on my website, a brief description of the methods used to implement this process and the resulting materials may be more appropriate for this venue.

PRODUCTION METHODS

In order to extract the precious oil from the mesocarp, or flesh cells, of the olive fruit, the extraction process naturally focuses on the separation of the oil and supplementary liquids from the solid material.

Washing the harvested olives with potable water and removing the leaves are the preliminary steps in this ancient process. The foreign material, if left, would adversely affect the flavor of the resulting product and damage the modern equipment that is currently used.

Crushing the olives with either stone mills or metal crushers produces a paste with easily extracted oil droplets within the resulting crushed substance. The older of the two methods is the use of stone crushers consisting of a stone base and upright millstones enclosed in a metal basin. There are usually scrapers to clean the millstones and paddles and blades to circulate and expel the paste. This process ensures that the paste is not overheated (which would adversely affect the flavor of the oil), the oil is not contaminated with the metal and the emulsified paste produced is easy to extract. Due to the consistency and texture of the paste that this process produces, stone crushed olive oil is usually combined with pressing, although sometimes centrifugation is used. The difficulties associated with this process are the slowness of the bulky machinery, the cost and the fact that the equipment cannot be continuously operated.

Metal crushers rotate at high speed throwing the olives against a metal grating. The oil is usually extracted from the paste by continuous centrifugation. The advantages include speed, continuous operation, low cost and high output. The primary disadvantages include the likelihood for metal contamination and high temperatures which damage the flavor of the oil. In addition, this process produces a paste which contains smaller droplets of oil, more emulsified, and therefore harder to extract.

Mixing or beating the paste prepares the paste for separation of the oil from the pomace. This part of the process is important if the paste was made from metal crushers. This process will maximize the amount of oil to be extracted from the paste by breaking up the oil/water emulsion and forming larger oil droplets. (If the speed, time and temperature devoted to the process are miscalculated, a stronger emulsion with oil more difficult to extract will result.)

Extraction of the “liquid gold” is accomplished by pressing, percolation or centrifugation. Pressing is the oldest and most common method of oil extraction by applying pressure to stacked mats, smeared with paste, that alternate with metal disks. The oil is then expressed through a central spike. The advantages of this method include the use of simple, reliable machinery and little initial investment; the low energy requirement; a resulting pomace that is low in moisture/liquid content and precious little oil is lost to the water component. The disadvantages include a high labor intensity and the production is, therefore, not continuous.

Percolation incorporates the use of a metal plate dipped into the mixed paste which in theory becomes wetted with oil, and not with oil mixed with water, when withdrawn. The oil then drips off the plate. The disadvantage of this process is that it is inefficient because the wet pomace remaining still contains a great deal of olive oil. That is why the percolation process, if used at all, is usually combined with another process such as pressing or centrifugation, discussed below; however, the high initial cost and energy requirements, the resulting wet pomace and a high amount of remaining olive oil still attached to water make this procedure less than ideal.

Centrifugation uses high-speed centrifuges that extract the oil from the beaten paste through a fine screen. The advantages include speed of process, efficient and compact equipment/machinery and low labor requirement. The disadvantages include a high investment cost for equipment and trained personnel, high energy requirements, a pomace with a high moisture content and lost oil still attached to the water.

The three methods produce oil must and pomace. The oil must consists of edible olive oil and vegetable water. Centrifugal decanting is used to separate the oil from the water with the help of the naturally different densities of these liquids. Concentric spinning tanks pull off the oil, and the vegetable water drains into lower tanks.

The “waste” consists of solid and liquid waste. The solid waste uses include: (1) Fuel, (2) Fertilizer/Mulch, (3) Herbicide, (4) Animal Feed, (5) Road Construction Material, (6) Olive Bricks and (7) Worm Breeding Material.

The most exciting use is fuel due to the extremely high cost of energy sources around the world. In Jordan, the primary use of pressing waste is fuel to heat households and power kilns. If completely dried, the solid waste is pressed into logs for burning yielding extremely intense burning and an aromatic scent. Commercially sold charcoal consists in part of dried solid olive waste. This fuel source is environmentally non-polluting and biodegradable. The Turkish Daily News recently reported that Selcuk Gida has applied to the Energy Ministry for permission to produce energy from the olive oil cake. This kind of energy production would be a first in Turkey. The energy power station will cost $20 million and be established in Aydin’s Germencik district. Sixty percent of the energy will be sold to Turkey Electric Distributing Company (TEDAS). The company Selcuk Gida is known to consumers of dried fruit which is sold under the Eagle Brand.

As a component of fertilizer and mulch, the olive waste should be mixed with soil and bark and should not be concentrated over the olive tree roots because the roots may burn. Usually, the olive waste is distributed around an orchard or farm and it serves as a natural herbicide, discouraging grass and weed growth. Some American farmers have reported the emergence of red clover where previously none existed. Red clover is a dynamic accumulator of nitrogen and phosphorous, and the presence of red clover (trifolium protense) is also an indicator of potassium.

This olive residue material is also a component of feed for animals such as cattle and poultry; however, goats and sheep eat it “straight” separating the edible portion from the woody parts. Americans use tons of the olive waste mixed with bitumen as a component of road construction material. Olive bricks, although lighter than traditional bricks, are also created from this solid residue as well as breeding material for worm breeding farms.

The chemical analysis of the solid waste consists of: nitrogen (1.18%), phosphorous (0.14%), potassium (2.03%), sulphur ( 0.11%), calcium (0.18%), magnesium (0.09%), sodium (0.02%), manganese (110 ppm), zinc (8 ppm), copper (4.2 ppm), cobalt (0.26 ppm), boron (26.4 ppm), molybdenum (0.16 ppm), cadmium (0.39 ppm), lead (10.01 ppm), mercury (<0.001 ppm), organic carbon (54%), moisture content (23.8%) and PH of 4.7.

The liquid waste water, according to ancient Roman texts, was used as a herbicide and insecticide. Modern research, however, has not yet uncovered viable uses to which this waste can be put. On the contrary, science has warned against depositing this substance into lakes, rivers or the sea due to the polyphenol. The acidity renders an excess of this waste water phytotoxic which can result in pollution.

In answer to the question of how I came to be called “Papa”, the nickname was given to me many, many years ago as a compliment which I could not begin to earn if I lived a thousand years. As a boy, I was stricken with wanderlust which was inspired by the literature written by such authors as John Steinbeck, Victor Hugo, Dostoyevsky, Hemingway, Kazantzakis, and many, many other wonderful writers. I traveled across different continents and worked at various jobs to pay for these voyages. These odd jobs usually involved animals or hunting in some way because they were often seasonal and universal in job descriptions. The people I met taught me so much and, since DVD’s and MTV were not exactly in vogue in places like the former Soviet Union, Hungary and the Greek islands, the men shared their sports activities with me as well as story telling in the evening, usually over a fire for cooking and/or warmth purposes. I came to love hunting, deep sea fishing, literature, fine Cuban cigars, wonderful traditional food and “real” people (not the kind you meet as a tourist). My friends at home, however well meaning but regrettably overstated, likened my interests to those of Ernest Hemingway who is fondly known to his admirers as “Papa”.

19. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Papa,

Thank you for that wonderful , detailed reply to our questions.I just went to your web site and found it most enjoyable..I recommend everyone check out papa's page.
    Also great story on how you got your name.

cc

20. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thanks for teaching us something, Papa. I went to your website too. Very informative, and nicely designed, too.