Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by bmw3, Apr 13, 2004.

1. bmw3

bmw3

hi everyone! i been reading this forum for a while and really like it here ... i really enjoy cooking and i started cooking at home when i was around 11 ... i am going to be 20 in a week and after finish my first year in university ... i decided to get into a two year culinary management program at george brown college in toronto ... after finishing i plan to start to work in the business and get to know the culinary world while i finish university ... when i finish university i plan to open a resturant ... but i am having second thoughts after hearing on this forum how this business requires alot of work hours and missing weekends and holidays ... i enjoy cooking very much and don't really mind at all as long as i get enough money to enjoy myself when i do get the time ... so my question is people who owns a resturant ... around how much are u making yearly if u don't mind telling and what is the size and style of resturant? and can u find the time to enjoy life besides being in the kitchen all the time? thanks :)

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hi BMW3 (Beamer??)! Welcome to Chef Talk. You've come to the right place to learn about the joys and tribulations of the restaurant buisiness. You will also learn about the true passion that leads people to miss holidays and weekends. You can find discussion about your questions by taking a look at older threads (just use the search button).

What you learn here can help you discover how deep your own passion for food goes. Keep reading, posting, sharing and learning. :)

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

3. seinfeld

seinfeld

Welcome :bounce:

4. bmw3

bmw3

i tried using the search feature but it doesn't seem to work for me ... for example i search for knives ... only one search result was found ... but when i actually look page by page there is way more then one thread ...

5. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes, that's what I meant. Each of the threads listed is a conversation that includes the word "knives". You can refine your search by adding other words such as "Wusthof" or Henckels knives". If that doesn't work for you, try posting your knife question in the equipment forum. You'll get responses and one person may be able to direct you to a specific thread that discusses what you want to know.

At any rate, have fun and enjoy the site!

6. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi BMW,

Can we call you "Beamer" for short?

You want to open a restaurant after your studies? What kind?

What type of market are you in, and who will be your target client?
    Sometimes this business means you have a "second" spouse, your restaurant.
    The only way you can make it work is through sweat, long hours and utter dedication. There is no magic wand when it comes to being a success (in any business) There are however many different avenues one can take within the Hospitality industry. Beamer, don't worry to much about the monitory aspect this early on, concentrate on learning and practicing your craft.Passion should be your mantra.

Please post often with your questions, we very well may be able to help you out

7. bmw3

bmw3

i guess i am worrying about too much too early ... i am just having second thoughts if i made the right decision or not ... because my parents really wants me to finish studying business at university ... they think the culinary business is too narrow and not much room to succeed ... after reading how much time (holidays weekends) needed to put into cooking i am having second thoguht ... oh well ... i think i should stick to my decision since this is what i want to do and worry about other stuff later ... thanks for the replies ladies and gent ... and don't worry i won't be shy abou tasking any questions that i have :)