New Labor rule would let employers keep workers’ tips

Discussion in 'The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)' started by jimyra, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I am not sure this is the correct Forum to post this in but I found it interesting. I picked the website because it was first in my search, I do not endorse the website. http://clark.com/shopping-retail/food-restaurants/restaurant-worker-tips-new-rules-sharing/ What do you think about this change and how will it affect your work place? How many think an employer should have anything to do with how tips are spread through the staff? Why would an owner have a right to keep part of the tip fund? How will this affect how you tip in a restaurant?

2. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    “Under the proposed rule, workplaces would have the freedom to allow sharing of tips among more employees,”

I take that to mean this will be an option as the current law forbids the owner to meddle unless the waitstaff agrees.
    So the best waitstaff will flock to the places that carry on with business as usual leaving the places that pool and share understaffed.

If it becomes mandatory across the board...don't forget that this will work both ways re base salary.
    In order to be fair to those who are actually hustling for the tips, owners will be forced to pay everyone in the house the same $ per hour.
    If that comes about it will mean those line cooks who make more per hour will see their paychecks decrease because there is no way to keep payroll in line if the lesser paid BOH and FOH get a pay hike.

mimi

3. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    If thats the case it would be much easier to put a service charge on the bill to keep track of tips. If your dealing with cash the owners or managers will have a field day.

4. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I agree. Just eliminate tipping and add a service charge to the bill as is being done in some places now. Anytime the government gets involved with something you can bet it's going to be some convoluted plan that benefits the dishonest.

5. Shadokat

Shadokat

Exp:
    Home cook
    I absolutely wouldn't ever trust owners with their employees' tips! I've never worked in a restaurant, but I did work in hotels where the owners were cheap and greedy across the board. If any expense could be cut, it was cut. Whatever was the absolute lowest wage they could get away with paying to their people, that was what they paid them. They usually didn't provide benefits like health insurance or 401k, but if they did, they paid as little as they could get away with into the plans, making their employees pay for as much as possible out of their tiny salaries. If owners were given leave to control and distribute workers' tips, you can bet that a lot of that money would disappear into owners' pockets. People will find any way to take advantage of a situation if they can. Would this new policy leave it open for owners to invent systems where they could make a list of reasons for them to keep portions of tips and only distribute a small amount back to employees? I disagree with that. As a customer, I never see the BOH people so why should my tip have to account for them? I thought that only the waitstaff made less than minimum wage to account for tips. Dishwashing and bussing are minimum wage jobs, aren't they? When those employees accepted the job, they knew what they would be paid. I'd like owners to pay those people more but the fact is that a lot of small business owners simply can't afford to. And of those who could afford to, they are too cheap and greedy. But the employees are making minimum wage instead of like $1.12 an hour made by the waitstaff. So in my eyes it's unfair for the waitstaff to have to share the tips. Unless the BOH people also start making the same $1.12 an hour or everyone starts being paid minimum wage, the waitstaff should keep all of their tips, IMHO.

6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well in my state, in certain areas min wage is working its way up to $15 hr, servers included. The rest of the state is $11 hr.
    So the poor schlob working in the dish pit makes $88 for an eight hr shift.
    The server makes that same $88 plus let's say another $100 in tips, which is conceivable.
    This is just an example, I'm not going to get into the debate, just an example from my 30+ years in the business.

7. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Just curious Chef... have any of the doom and gloom predictions (places closing every day...customers feeling the pinch of higher menu prices and staying home) come to pass?
    If not these microcosms of living wages across the board areas can be studied (NOT by the Feds they have their fingers in enough pies already) and tried in other areas.
    Just FYI I always tipped the dish guy on those nites when he had to turn my bar glasses around several times.

mimi

8. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I have mixed emotions about the "tipping culture" in the States, but feel this new policy would be very bad for the entire restaurant. Pooled tips in most cases lower the quality of the service. By including pooled tips to the back of the house, you would then be able to lower their hourly wages creating more problems. The fact that owners can potentially take a piece of it as well is downright scary. To me, this is just another way to cut pay for food service workers.

As far as what @chefbuba said, I will enter that debate. I love the progressive states that do not allow paying under minimum wage for tipped employees. It actually allows servers and bartenders to make an ok living. When it comes to the pay disparity between FOH and BOH, I believe the FOH makes more for good reason. Both work incredibly hard stressful positions, but the FOH has to deal with the public in a customer service capacity. That is why they need to be paid well. Having to bite my tongue, smile, and serve condescending, pretentious, demanding jerks is too much for me. I prefer the BOH where I just have to wash off the physical grime after a shift, not the emotional.

9. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "Both work incredibly hard stressful positions, but the FOH has to deal with the public in a customer service capacity. That is why they need to be paid well. Having to bite my tongue, smile, and serve condescending, pretentious, demanding jerks is too much for me."
    Remember the BOH has to deal with FOH who expect to be treated as customers. I always suggested the wait staff share if the BOH helped buss and turn tables faster. Suggested then ignored and let them work it out.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  10. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I for sure agree with tipping out whoever busses tables regardless of their official title. However, I have never worked in a restaurant that treats FOH like customers in BOH. In most places any server walks on eggshells in the kitchen and is as polite and assisting to BOH as possible. Their tips depend on a good BOH relationship. If any FOH gives even the slightest attitude toward anyone on the line, there is usually hell to pay.

11. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Only ones that are making a big deal in the press are the big corporates like Mc Donalds who is cutting workers by adding kiosks. Other fast food brands are cutting worker's hours. Sounds like spite to me.