New job for me, too!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by campchef, Nov 13, 2004.

1. campchef

campchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    After 10 weeks of unemployment, I have finally landed a job. I was in the biz as an exec chef for many years, and now I'm teaching culinary arts! A high school program with 60 kids. The kids are great, I'm having a blast, and one of the best parts is no weekends, no nights, and summers off! :chef:

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    "summers off!"
    I am jealous. Congratulations, sounds like a great job.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Campchef,

I started my "new role"in life last April at The Center for Culinary Arts in CT and I must tell you I am having the time of my life. I look forward to work everyday and feel very satisfied. I had a student come up to me on Thursday to tell me how much she has learned from me, how I present myself in the classroom and kitchens and how at first she was so intimidated with my class (Regional French in this case)but has totally immersed herself in the study of French cuisine and it's history and is truly excited in what she has learned. This, campchef is what it is all about.

Good luck with your new career.
    PS, Jim also teaches culinary arts at a high school.

4. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Congratulations Camp Chef! I hope you love teaching. Be sure to keep a log of the "interesting" questions and comments your students come up with. It'll be good reading in the future.

I'm sure Jim and CC know what I'm talking about! :p

Mezz

5. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    :bounce: FANTASTIC! You have hit the lottery!!! I am in my 3rd year (wow, has it been that long?!) and I absolutely LOVE every moment. I mean that, sincerely. I am grateful everyday for the opportunity to teach students. Please feel free to PM me if you ever have any issues or are in need of some guidance. I tapped many folks (including Mezzaluna) when I got started so I am happy to pass the torch.
    Very best wishes on your new adventure. You no longer work... now you teach! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

6. chef curmudgeon

chef curmudgeon

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Congratulations Camp Chef! 15 years ago after 35 years in the biz, I too started teaching in a Culinary Arts program in a Vo-Tech high school program. We have 80 9-12 graders. Teaching is truly a very satisfying profession, especially when you can awaken a passion for learning in these young culinarians. When they return to thank you and tell you how much you have been a positive influence in their lives it makes all the setbacks you are bound to have, much easier to bear.
    Good Luck

7. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    So great to read! I'm consulting on a 3 year grant to put a school garden in an innercity elementary school. University dietetic students will be writing lesson plans and I will be lining up chefs and farmers to teach/consult.
    The key to teaching people how to cook fresh food is immersion....20 minutes or even a one time field trip is NOT enough. After doing various projects for years it seems a waste of time to not have an ongoing program. It's great to see it proliferating throughout the country. So many people have lost the ability to cook, I had to write recipes for saute fingerlings in olive oil with salt and pepper.....the adults were standing there watching and wanted a recipe. :eek: Every class I teach seems further and further removed from the sources of food and techniques of the kitchen.

This past week I coordinated a new (2mos) culinary HS program to field trip to restaurant kitchens and dine in small (4 students 1 adult) groups numerous times. You all have my utmost respect....the red tape that goes in to transporting children is unreal....
    I approached a chef group about giving a deep discount. Several pro groups I'm involved with raise monies for "charities"......I am a strong believer in giving to culinary education, support those coming up the ranks. Those of you that are active in various societies consider supporting culinary education....field trips to your restaurant, lunch on the house, talk about whatever you do in the culinary world or sponsor a group of kids going to a restaurant that does not have plastic forks or napkins from a dispensor.

8. ara gureghian

ara gureghian

That "teaching" sounds awsome... After 35 years in the field, the past 16 as a Personal Chef and previously as a Wholesale Bakery and Restaurant Owner (please shoot me!!!...) "teaching" is what I want to do... I am tired of cooking for billionaires... millionaires... I do not feel the fairness of the 'regular' people... like us?... not being able to reach what I have to offer... never thought about high schools... thought more about private students in different towns throughout the States or some Culinary schools...
    Any feedback? where would it be a good starting point? My references and background are impeccable...
    www.personalchefara.com
    I hope I am not 'stealing' this thread in any way... just thought it would be a good question...
    Ara