New here! Home baker and longtime ChefTalk forum reader

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by greenmind, Apr 3, 2011.

1. greenmind

greenmind

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hello everyone!

My name is Lauren, I'm 20, and I finally decided to sign up.

I love to bake and my passion is pastries. I absolutely love making puff pastry, and really all other pastry doughs. I just love the feel of butter and flour! I am currently studying at home out of many books (Professional Pastry Chef, Professional Baking, Bread, BBA, How Baking Works, etc.).

I have been looking at pastry schools but the cost of anything near me is too much($25k for one year!). Because of this I have decided to go the other route and just find myself a job in a bakery and learn as I work my way up.

I have already learned a lot from the forums, and I hope to learn even more!

2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Hello Lauren and welcome to Cheftalk!  I'm sure if you've been a long-time lurker you know a lot about us.

We have a world-wide membership (I'm Scots, for example) and our breadth of culinary knowledge here is very broad - from those just starting out to masterchefs - and all points in between.  Many of the members have posted their 'ethnic' dishes and recipes in the photographs, wikis, blogs and articles - and the reviews are pretty good, too!

Feel free to join in on any threads you find interesting, or start your own in the relevant forum.  The professional fora are read-only for those of us who are not presently in the culinary trades, but they still make interesting reading!

I love to bake - after all, the Scots and English introduced MANY of the cakes and pastries that are now enjoyed all over the world - eg scones, dundee cake, pies, shortbread and lots of other goodies, too!