New here, from Italy- Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by pongi, Jan 11, 2002.

1. pongi

pongi

Hi everyone!
    glad to be here-this is JUST the site I was looking for! I'm not a professional, just an amateur, and love cooking for my family and friends-even if haven't had all that time during the last years (I have a 2 years old little girl). Apart from Italian cooking (mainly Northern since I live in Genoa and my family comes from Lombardia and Emilia Romagna) I love almost all the other cookings, particularly the Indian cooking. I've travelled a lot before having my daughter, and everywhere I've been I tasted all the foods I could get and bought at least a cookbook. My favourites are pasta, rice and vegetable dishes, and sweets as well.
    Hope to meet friends here and learn lots of new things!

Pongi

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nice to have you with us!!!!

I can't wait to see some of your recipes.
    I think Italian cuisine is my favorite
    cc

3. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome aboard Pongi.

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Pongi,

Welcome to the Cheftalk Cafe.

:)

Does this mean you can get copa when ever you like?

;)

5. pongi

pongi

Cchiu, I'm not sure to understand what does "copa" mean...maybe "coppa" (cured pork meat)?

Pongi

6. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Aahhh, yes.... Ummmmm!

:lips:

Do you have a recipe?

7. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Welcome, Pongi.:)

I don't recall meeting any Italians yet on Cheftalk. I'm certain you'll have a lot to contribute, and I look forward to your posts.

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to you, Pongi! I'd love to hear what you have to say, particularly because we may go to Italy this summer.

Please forgive if my spelling is incorrect, but Benvenuto!

9. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi neighbour!
    Welcome! I hope you bring some of your country's impecable style!

:)

10. isa

isa

Welcome to Chef Talk Pongi!

I'm sure you'll love it here. Now about Italian sweets....:lips:

11. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    Welcome Pongi.
    I spent 2 fabulous weeks in Northern Italy this past summer. Venice, Firenze, Sienna and Cinqua Terra.
    My family loves Italian food. I cook it for them all the time. For simple food with lots of flavor, you can't beat Italian.

Jock

12. nancya

nancya

Welcome, Pongi! I'm sure you'll love it here.

I, too, am looking forward to your recipe posts. I love Italian cooking!

13. ziggy

ziggy

Ciao Pongi!

I mostly lurk here...but having spent two fabulous years in Sarnico(on Lago d'Iseo) I had to come out of the woodwork to welcome you! I miss much of your beautiful country - particular when it comes to food! :)

14. austinfarrugia

austinfarrugia

hi pongi

glad to have you on board.I live a few blocks away
    from you just under Sicily (MALTA):cool: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

15. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Welcome pongi!!!

Love to hear your input on everything on the boards! I have yet to make it to your beautiful country, but am hoping tp 4 years from now when the winter Olympics are in Turin.

Enjoy!!!

16. hubuk

hubuk

Exp:
    At home cook
    Hi Pongi and welcome to . . .

You mentioned that you like Indian recipes - I have a number of Indian recipes featured on my site which have come direct from India rather tha a cookbook manufactured for us Westerners!!!!

I love many of the recipes that come from Northern Italy and would be interested in publishing some of them on Hub-UK. Let me know if you are interested.

17. pongi

pongi

I just got a warm welcome! Hope I'll not give the lie to the good reputation my country has over here...:)

To Cchiu: of course we can get coppa whenever we want! I just got a WHOLE coppa as a Christmas present :lips: Unluckily I haven't got any recipe, but in any case making coppa it's practically impossible if you're not a professional...

To Hub-UK: thanks for your info! I gave a preliminar look to your site and it looks GREAT! Lots of yummy indian (and non-indian) recipes... BTW, I have major problems with Dosas (they always end up too heavy, sticky and greasy), can you help me?
    As for Italian recipes, I would love to contribute with some Italian recipes! Noticed that the site includes a ravioli pasta recipe, would you like some good filling recipes? Anything else? Let me know what kind of recipe would you like more!

Pongi

18. hubuk

hubuk

Exp:
    At home cook
    You wanted to know about Dosas so here it is:

There are a number of recipes of Dosas using different ingredients in each one of them.

This is the standard recipe served in restaurants:

Sada Dosa or Plain Dosa

1 cup split black gram
    3 cup rice
    1 cup cooked rice*
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 fenugreek seeds

Wash and soak split black gram, fenugreek seeds and rice together for 6 - 7 hours. Grind it finely. Add the cooked rice and a little water and grind it again. Add salt. The batter should be of pouring consistency. Keep it aside in a warm place for 8 - 10 hours till the batter rises like the bread dough.You need to use a container where the batter takes half the space so the dosa batter does not overflow when fermented.

Heat a non-stick griddle until hot. Pour 2 tbsp of batter and with swift strokes, spread the batter evenly on the griddle before it gets cooked and becomes difficult to spread. Put a tsp of oil all around the dosa and let it cook at a medium heat till golden and crisp. Remove and fold it in half. Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.

* This is one of tips which are rarely mentioned in the cookbooks but adding this makes the dosa light and crisp.

I knew nothing about Dosas until you asked so I cannot claim to be that clever - the recipe comes from Vandana who lives in Southern India.:chef:

19. bufano

bufano

Benvenuto Pongi,
    Piacere conoscerti. Ho vissuto a Firenze per un anno dove ho studiato la lingua Italiana ma era tanti anni fa!!

I am a culinary arts student in SF and have been working as a prep cook. The food of my soul is Regional Italian and I absolutely love the festivals!! I would love to learn the Ligurian specialties. We have a great olive oil from Liguria at a place called Trader Joe's......excellent!!

20. pongi

pongi

Grazie per il benvenuto, Bufano! :)
    E complimenti per il tuo eccellente Italiano!
    Since you speak Italian so well, I'll look for some interesting Italian sites about regional cooking and let you know them. Ligurian recipes are coming!

Hope we'll meet soon here,

Pongi