Chef Forum banner

new, here- a working mom

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  leeniek 
#1 ·
HI all. I am new here and glad to have found such a site like this. I am a working mom with two kids and I feel so guilty that I often prepare quick and unhealthy food for them. I know how important is preparing food but I just don't have much time. anyone here who can give me some quick yet healthy recipe tips for my kids? I would really appreciate all suggestions. Thanks much! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello and welcome to Chef Talk. We have a good many members in your situation- that is, busy parents who want their kids to have good and nutritious food. You might try using the search tool to find earlier discussions of this topic. Of course, you can also post your question and get replies from other members. Just remember that we home cooks can enjoy reading everythign on this site, but we shouldn't post questions in the Professionals' forums. Still, that leaves us a lot of options!

I hope you feel at home here, and that you visit often. We non-professionals are equally welcome here as the professionals. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

Welcome!

Mezzaluna

#3 ·
I am a 13 year old girl and my mom likes me to eat healthy too. One thing she does is, when making sweets, instead of using sugar she always uses Splenda and I never tell a difference. Splenda is just like sugar but not as bad for you. There is also a salad that she makes that I just love.. It is called bean salad.

The ingredients are:

Black beans,

corn,

chic peas,

red kiney beans,

white corn,

(all of the above use one can each/ drain + rinse),

1 green pepper- chopped, 2 stalks of celery (chopped), 1 red onion- chopped.

Just mix all of these ingredients together in a bowl. Then add this dressing...

Dressing:

1 1/2 cups of Splenda

3/4 C. Canola Oil

3/4C. Vinegar

Try this and see how your kids like it /img/vbsmilies/smilies/chef.gif

#4 · (Edited)
The recipe sounds yummy. However, ChefBeLittle, we're happy to share recipes (check out ours using the search tool), but please post them and other posts in one of the general forums (not the professional forums please!). The Welcome Forum is for introductions. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Also, we have a rule about not posting recipes from magazines, websites, books, etc. as those are copyrighted. It would be the same as copying somebody's work at school and turning it in as your own. (Sorry.. the retired middle school teacher in me just won't go away!)

Please let me know if you have questions about how the site works. I'm happy to help. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif

Mezzaluna

#5 ·
Hi there!

Welcome to cheftalk.

Well, I have some ideas for healthy snacks that are easy to prepare.

First one is:

Fruit skewers

you would need: fruits in season-banana,mango,strawberry,watermelon... skewers

what you will do: slice the mangoes into medium cubes, hull the strawberries.

alternately put the fruits to make it colorful

that's it!

second:
[h1]Parsleyed Corn on the Cob[/h1]
Yield: Makes 6 servings
end class="rcpdetail"
[h2]Ingredients[/h2]
  • 6 ears sweet corn, shucked
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
end class="rcpdetail"
[h2]Preparation[/h2]
Bring a large pot of water, 3/4 full, to a boil. Break the ears into halves or thirds and simmer just until tender, no more than 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a serving dish. Pour the butter over the corn and sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and parsley, turning to coat. Serve steaming hot.

Tip: For the sweetest corn, cook it as soon as possible after buying it. The sugar in corn begins to turn to starch the moment the ears are picked; cool temperatures slow this process.

So there!

2 simple recipes for the moment and will come up with new ones later.

Enjoy!

#6 ·
thanks to everyone!

@Mezzaluna, thanks for the warm welcome.

@chefbelittle, I am taking your suggestion.

@chefjanet, i love what you prepared for me. I think even my husband would love the parleyed corn. Thanks so much, ladies /img/vbsmilies/smilies/thumb.gif

#7 · (Edited)
Hi workfromhome,

welcome to cheftalk, you will definitely love it here! And yes did you say you're a working mom? let me guess, you work from home, right? Just a guess from your chosen id. Well, I do work too, but got no kids yet so I joined here for my hubby. I've got to say for a very short time, this place has taught me really wonderful ideas. Well, again welcome!

#8 ·
Greetings!  I'm in a similar situation.  I'm a teacher and have 3 little kids.  One of the best things I did was get them turned on to fresh fruit and vegetables.  Sometimes they need some little ranch dressing to use and dip and motivation.  They are content to have sliced cucumbers or baby carrots as a snack, so I'm not complaining about the dip too much!

#9 ·
Yes Veggies & Dip are were and are still one of my children's favorite along with a ton of fresh washed whole fruit in the fridge. Bananas on the counter etc.... I brought home dinner from the restaurant most days when I was so busy at work. They used to call me with their order. So I was not the typicle working mom as I had food at my fingertips. My kids love salad which has been at every dinner table.  If I got home early  the favorite was...whole roasted chicken surrounded in the pan by wedged potatoes with the skins on ,carrots large dice ,same for celery and onion ...drizzle a marinade of lemon juice thyme , oregano, S &P and olive oil and keep basting all....so simple so good

have fun with simple food ...it's summer and that is the best time for some fast easy grilling ..meat, veggies even corn and potatoes...

#10 ·
Hi there ladies, Been away for two weeks I guess and have I missed something? Been real busy with my home-based job and was in trouble with one of my clients. Any working moms here? Anyone here who could give me some tips on how I could organize my stuff and my work data? I am in real mess now.

#11 ·
I'm a working mom too... but when my kids were smaller I was a stay at home mom.  I'm sure you'll find lots of healthy eating ideas for your kids here.  Macaroni and cheese (homemade, not kraft dinner) has always been a favourite with my kids and it's fairly quick and straightforward to make.  They love veggies and dip, cheese and crackers and fruit.  Sometimes for lunch we have a meal of just that... veggies with dip, cheese and crackers, sometimes a little sliced keilbassa or polish sausage and fruit.  It's quick, healthy and they can't get enough of that sometimes. 

Welcome to ChefTalk by the way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.