New Guy bright ideas

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cfood047, May 23, 2019.

1. cfood047

cfood047

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    He says wrapping Strip Steak in olive oil soaked wax paper will make it last longer

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    LOL Tell him to wrap something else in olive oil soaked wax paper and see if it lasts longer.

3. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    The olive oil will turn rancid after a few days and make the steak taste terrible. Setting aside the propensity of olive oil to turn rancid, there are some studies that have been done that conclude Omega-3 fatty acids, which are found in some foods like olive oil, fish, walnuts etc. can neutralize or prevent the growth of bacteria that cause Listeria. So, to that extent, it is possible that olive oil could act as some sort of preservative.

Because some decomposing bacteria thrive in the presence of oxygen, and a coating of oil could form a thin, air tight barrier, I suppose its theoretically possible that olive oil could act as some sort of preservative. But, like I said, the problem here is with the olive oil turning rancid.

Not to mention that using olive oil as a preservative would be rather expensive.

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Umm.. vacuum packing?

cfood047 and sgsvirgil like this.
  5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, your chef is most likely trying to prevent oxidation on the surface of the meat by using oil to prevent contact with air. The paper is there, I suppose, to get it to stick. You could just bury your steaks in oil, but that is messy...I've only seen one chef who did something like that. I wasn't a fan.

The oil soaked paper is probably wasteful and annoying to have to do, but it is probably at least partially effective at preventing oxidation. His claim isn't without merit, but I would be surprised if it ended up having a large impact on anything long term.

6. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I knew a chef who kept his filets in oil in the frig but only for about three days. The oil should be fine in the refrigerator. But how long does it have to last?

7. cfood047

cfood047

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    He put one oil soaked sheet on the bottom of the strip loin.. so when I went to portion, the oil
    congealed and the paper only covered a portion in the center. Wrapped it once with plastic wrap so the fat layer turned grayish and the edges browned. the damage is pretty much done.

8. cfood047

cfood047

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    He put one oil soaked sheet on the bottom of the strip loin.. so when I went to portion, the oil
    congealed and the paper only covered a portion in the center. Wrapped it once with plastic wrap so the fat layer turned grayish and the edges browned. the damage is pretty much done.

9. cfood047

cfood047

Exp:
    Professional Chef

10. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    That's not good.

11. cfood047

cfood047

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know. Great product poor handling.

12. PoorlyChef

PoorlyChef

Exp:
    Look at the movement of each steak for each day and cut based on the average daily number. If you have to put steaks in oil on a regular basis you're over cutting, in my humble opinion..