New Guy Bright Ideas (Roux)

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cfood047, Jun 14, 2019 at 12:01 PM.

1. cfood047

cfood047

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Clam Chowder - Thinks Thickening his chowder with Heavy Cream with Flour vs What I use is Bacon Grease, Butter and Flour any thoughts?

2. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Basically a “whitewash” albeit with cream instead of water. It does work, no chance of splitting either. Very fast way of doing things.

If you don’t have a house recipie then anything goes. If you do have one, then you gotta stick to the recipie.

3. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A lot of soups will be thickened or finished with cream, but I would think it would take a lot of cream and reduction to thicken a chowder to the right consistency with only using reduced cream.

4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Sure, why not. Should taste great. Besides... the thickness and thickening agent for chowder is as regional as are chowder recipes.

Seoul Food likes this.
  5. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah you should see the arguments we get into about clam and Manhattan up here.

6. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Cooking the potatoes in the cream will cause the potatoes to release starch and help to tighten up the chowder.

7. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    True, i was just going on the assumption that the soup was basically done by the time they came to thickening it meaning the potatoes were already cooked. I was more referencing that fact that the consistency of clam chowder I am picturing in my mind would take a lot of reduction if just using cream as the thickener as opposed to a roux. At the end of the day I guess it really doesn't matter what you use to thicken it as long as it's delicious.

8. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I grew up in Boston and DownEastMaine. The differences between these two are profound. And then there is Rhode Island chowder. I couldn’t even acknowledge Manhattan Chowder as a valid chowder. My profound apology but it’s a deeply rooted bias based on generations of New Englanders that I have but not too proud of.

9. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    To keep the potato from over cooking, some can be pulled out, blitzed, and put back on to thicken.

10. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Please. Cost it out before you implement it.

chefross likes this.
  11. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef

I’m sorry, but whenever I hear “chowder”, I flash back to the Simpsons episode where the French waiter pronounces it “ shaowdair”.....

12. Seoul Food

Seoul Food

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I've never heard of Rhode Island chowder, what's it like? Also another thing to add is with the different regional chowder debates we also had the added layer of consistency with the spoon stand test debate.

13. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
  14. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Bacon/bacon fat, and salt pork, are typical add-ins for chowda, nothing out of the ordinary there. Much of the time I can just go for nothing much more than a puree of potato with cream and fresh parsley as base.

15. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    RI chowder is onions, fresh clams, broth, potatoes finished with a hint of tomato for color. Many use tomato soup for the tomato part but not enough to overwhelm the clam flavor, just enough to give it a reddish tint.
    I'll see if I can dig up my grandmother's recipe.

16. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Would you please!

17. chefbillyb

chefbillyb

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I would bet most people never had Manhattan or RI Clam chowder. I grew up on Manhattan clam chowder. what I liked about it was the true unmasked flavor you get from the clam nectar. I didn't have the Cream based chowder until I left the East Coast. I think the reason people like that kind of chowder is because it doesn't have a clam taste. I think the Manhattan and RI chowder is more of a purist way of eating a clam flavored chowder. In other words it doesn't really disguise the flavor of the clam nectar with a rich heavy cream.