New Forum on Food and Wine!!!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, Sep 5, 2000.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    You asked for it so here we go! Lets get some discussion going about food and wine pairing, cooking with wine, anything at all about wine.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Ok Cabs and Chocolate anybody got some good combos. I've had Valharona 70% with Silver Oak and it was pretty darn good.

3. jim berman

jim berman

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Champagne Brochetto d'oro... a raspberry champagne paired with a great chocolate torte is Fantastic. If you can find this champagne, it runs about $30 a 750ml. It is not some lame 'chic' flavored sparkling, but the real deal! Try it... you'll like it.

4. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I have only had champagne and chocolate, but I have read about chefs pairing hearty reds with high quality chocolates. Interesting, I will have to try it.

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A number of years ago at Ch, lafite in Pulliac bordeoux did a backwards dinner with Ch Yquem , witch is a sautern. they started the dinner with seared foie gras with carmilezed tourned pears and sautern/pear aspic and searved with Yquem and then they had a chocolate dessert (forgotwhat it was ) but they served lafite with the dessert! Lafite has a tendency to have hints of cocoa, sweet spice and anise in its charector.the meal was wonderful and proved a point that you can go against what is perseved to be the only way do drink wine, and show that a wine with a great match as far as bouquet and taste and respect for the sutle flavoures of the food to be served can work.Try it sometime. its alot of fun. ofcourse most of us will have to find alternitives to lafite and Yquem $$$$$$$ But there out there