New Everyday Knives

Joined Jul 5, 2014
I own 3 what I consider insanely expensive Japanese knives each from different makers that I purchased from a few years ago from chefknivestogo.com. I absolutely love them, but I do not use them daily. For everyday knives I've used Vitorinox Forschner Fibrox 'for years. When I bought them years ago they were the best knives I've ever used, but after so many years I've grown sick of them. I  suspect the quality of the Japanese blades has probably spoiled me on the Forschners. The reason I kept them for so long is my ham fisted son he has not be allowed to use my good knives.

I've been considering both Shun Classics and Globals. I don't want to spend more than $300 on 3 knives a Chef, Utility, and pairing. I've made do with those three for years and the Japanese versions of the same. 

I have a gift card and some points I want to use to get whatever I choose at William Sonoma. I've also been wondering about German and other Euro brands.

Suggestions and comments will be appreciated

Joined Aug 6, 2015
Hi Tom, to clarify- is it cutting performance versus your Fibrox or durability the greater priority here?

Joined Jul 5, 2014
Hi Tom, to clarify- is it cutting performance versus your Fibrox or durability the greater priority here?
Cutting performance. Truthfully I just really don't use my best knives daily due to their expense. I don't mind sharpening - I have the Ken Onion Work Sharp and enjoy using it. 

Last edited:
Joined Apr 25, 2014
I wouldn't use something $600+ but I have no problem using something in the $200-400 range at all.

Life is short.  Use your knives.   I'm not saying mistreat them.  If you have a tough task grab a beater knife like the victorinox.

Last edited:
Joined Jan 25, 2013
because of their value, keep the good knives put up for only you to use.  for 'guest chefs', get Old Hickory in the size and shape needed.  they are easy to sharpen shaving sharp  and very durable.  

Joined Aug 6, 2015
If you don't plan on selling your good knives, I don't know if the value/expense rationale holds up. Also, not really seeing 'sleeper' good deals at WS...looks like rather predictable stock. You've listed maybe the top competitors, but I'd imagine the chef knife profile of the Shun Classic knife would be quite different compared to your nice knives you've gotten used to using.

Scott - does Old Hickory make stainless knives?

Last edited:
Joined Jan 25, 2013
no, the Old Hickory are plain Jane 1095 high carbon steel.  easy to make razor sharp.  if abused, the blade will bend before it chips.  perfect for ham handed 'guest' kitchen helpers.

Joined Aug 6, 2015
Based on my experience I'd have to set out stainless knives as guest knives. I'm the one who would have to deal with the ensuing rust.

Joined Feb 19, 2016
Hi,

Would take Global the only problem is the handle, not every one like them, some prefer wooden handle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom