new cutting board need help!!

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by mrbushido, Oct 11, 2014.

1. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    https://www.kitchn.no/Default.aspx?Cat=178&Id=27554. Got this shit in bamboo that wrecks my knifes and leaves splinters etc everywhere no matter how much i oil and wax it....

Anyone got some really god cutting boards to recomend thats very gentle on my knives??

2. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Bamboo is not really a wood, but a hard grass.  That board at least is bigger pieces of bamboo, so I'm thinking less glue.  The glue is what is tough on knives usually.  Since your board has more bamboo, I'm not surprised that your super sharp, hard japanese steels are cutting pieces of bamboo off.  I'm not sure what is available in Norway with decent shipping charges. 

The FAQ from BoardSmith is a good guide for choosing quality end grain boards.

http://theboardsmith.com/boardsmith-faqs/

Basically you want an end grain board with a wood that has a tight grain structure.  There are all ranges of prices for this.  I'm using the catskill board from amazon. 

It's decent quality.  I maintain it with my mix of 5:1 mineral oil: beeswax.  It hasn't cracked on me yet.  I do wish the squares were bigger.  If you're the handy type, you can look into making your own.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/how-to-make-a-butcher-block-cutting-board/

I'm going to at least 5 weddings next summer so everyone is getting one of these :)

3. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Sendt david a mail about shipping :) is the catskill as good?

4. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    I haven't used more expensive ones to compare.  It's certainly easy on knives.  The end grain splits apart as you cut and then comes back together.  I don't even see cut marks in mine yet and it's been over a year.  Boardsmith and Boos certainly make pretty looking boards with some interesting patterns.  Even if my catskill cracks, which I don't think it will, because I wax/oil it weekly, I could buy 3 of these for the same price.

I couldn't justify spending $300 on a board that I know costs about $50 in parts to make.  $110 to not buy tools or do any work seemed okay.

5. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Okay the carolina slab im eyeballing is 178 bucks :p

6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    That's cheap for a boardsmith.  The catskill at 3" x 20" x 20" is heavy!  I can feel it in my back when I lift it.  2" should be more managable.

7. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Its at his site :) think the catskill is as good quality?

8. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    The catskill is made from smaller squares of wood are smaller so there's more glue, more points of failure that could crack.  Then again, I don't see a 3" thick board cracking easily.  It is not pre soaked in mineral oil like the boardsmith, so it needs to be saturated with mineral oil on arrival.

The maple boardsmith just looks okay to me.  I wish it had some darker colors in there to mix it up.  It comes down to what you are willing to pay for a cutting board.  My limit was around $100.  More money for knives and stones...

9. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Jepp looks arent important having a good board is for me that will last for years got all knives and stones i need also :)

10. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    So boardsmith is good quality?

11. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Boardsmith is highly regarded.  I think he's up at the top, even higher than Boos. 

If you're looking at something just to get by, the sani-tuff boards are rubber boards that you can sand down if they get cut marks in them.  A lot of pro kitchens like them because you can throw it in the dishwasher.  They do get dirty looking over time.  I prefer wood.

12. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ok hmm like the looks of boardsmith just hope that shipping dont kills me hehe

13. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Anyone here got a boardsmith?

14. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Acacia is about the same hardness as bamboo, but it is nicer to knife edges for not having as much silica. Acacia has voids that can require filler. End grain acacia don't need to be as thick as maple boards and can make rock chopping with a sharp knife nice and smooth. They appear to be far less prone to cracking. If you're looking for a budget end grain board; I'd consider acacia which makes for a beautiful board with it's dark and light spots, but it is considered on the slightly overly hard side.

If money isn't as much an issue; Boardsmith and Boos end grain male are great. I don't think they even deal with any woods that aren't ideal, but more careful maintenance should be followed. 

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015
  15. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Okay thank you :) anyone here got a boardsmith any experiences with them?

16. galley swiller

galley swiller

Exp:
    At home cook
    I've had good experience with the 15 inch square by 2 inch thick end grain Michigan Maple Block boards/chopping blocks and have bought 4 of them.  Regular price including shipping from the factory is around $70, though I have been able from time to time find and buy them for as low as $45.  The wood is hard northern maple and grain pattern is fairly tight (after all, they are local sourcing it in Michigan, where long and cold winters make for tight ring patterns).  Shipping is direct from MMB.

The only problem I have ever had was when I changed address and then ordered a new board from one of their authorized sellers.  MMB relied on "Auto-Fill" in their word processing address labeling and sent it to my old address.  While I was a bit irate about that (before ordering, I had made sure I had properly updated all of my address information) and had to go 50+ miles to retrieve the wayward board, MMB 'fessed up to the mistake and sent me a bottle of Emmet's Elixir as a consolation make-up item.

Galley Swiller

17. mrbushido

mrbushido

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Okay and thats end grain? As good as boardsmith?

18. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Wow nice find! 

I might get one for my parents house.  Tired of using small plastic cutting boards when I visit. 

19. galley swiller

galley swiller

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, it is end grain.  Since I have never had a BoardSmith board, I can't make comparisons.

And the one shown offered in Amazon (as linked by MillionKnives) is the one that I have ordered in the past.

Only possible quibbles are 1) this board will require oiling (I have used ordinary food grade mineral oil - Safeways has that for $3.49 for a 16 fl oz bottle - and have put almost a full pint into one of these boards); and 2) the free shipping is probably only good in the USA.

Galley Swiller

20. tweakz

tweakz

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Boardsmith uses a brick style layout for it's boards, where the one on Amazon has some glue seems aligned with square or cube pieces. I've read that the brick layout is more durable, but I think selection of maple may be more important? (maple trees grown on flat land instead of steep hills). Boardsmith also states "select maple". Also on BS: 'Fully oiled with USP grade mineral oil and waxed prior to packaging'.

Though there's no ratings on the board on Amazon; the board maker has some great ratings on it's other boards, and the seller has great ratings as well.

I personally wouldn't want a square board; counter tops are rarely square, and we tend to move stuff on the board from side to side. Given the price though; I'm tempted to order one anyway. 

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2015