new culinary trends

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefbk, Jul 22, 2002.

1. chefbk

chefbk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hey everyone!
    I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the newest culinary or cusine craze that is the most popular in the States today is. I really appreciate it. Thanks to all.
    BK

2. kimmie

kimmie

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Chefbk, which part of the country are you talking about? Biggest cities? Big cities? Medium-sized? Suburbs? Exurbs? Rural?

And do you mean in independent restaurants? Or national chains? Local chains?

And which segment: fast food? quick service? family dining? fine dining?

And I'm not even considering ethnicity!

You see, it could be something different in any combination of the above. Trends are based on populations, and boy, is the population of this country NOT homogeneous! What may seem to be a "trend" in one can disappear, or can spread over time, with numerous modifications, to many others.

There are people who make their livings identifying "trends." I think their success comes not from the validity of what they identify, but from their ability to convince their clients that they're right. Just my cynical view.

4. shawtycat

shawtycat

Exp:
    You are so right Suzanne. Imagine how surprised and tickled we West Indians were when someone announced a few years ago that they discovered "Lemon Chicken". :rolleyes: We have been doing that for years and thought that announcement was hilarious. :lol:

Jodi

5. chefbk

chefbk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Suzanne-
    I was more a less curious concerning medium to very large cities. Fine dining, and east coast, west coast and midwest for location in particular. I appreciate any input. Thanks.
    BK

6. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Aw, shucks! I guess that means blue french fries, green ketchup and plastic-wrapped slices of peanut butter don't count as trends! :eek:

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Mezz -- I sure hope not!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

BK: It's hard for us to say, but if you check out Nation's Restaurant News you might find some of the info you're looking for. At least there you can learn what is actually being SOLD, and what restaurants consider to be possible future trends to latch on to. At any rate, that's a good source that I know of for finding out what's going on in the "real world" (outside New York City, which gets some trends after everybody else, believe it or not.)

8. katew

katew

Have you seen the commercials for Kraft cheese strips? Kind of on the idea of string cheese except it's Kraft, not real cheese. Yeesh, if you're gonna get string cheese, get real cheese.

9. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    In today's Wall Street Journal there was an article about the increasing trend toward packaging single servings of all kinds of foods, the latest being round, crustless peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (!). For example, when the Hot Pockets people began adding more filling at the same price to the consumer, sales shot up. The article also noted that serving sizes are increasing in all single-serving foods, and connected that to the obesity epidemic in this country.

Go figure! :rolleyes: