New cookware suggestions for a Sitram aficionado

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by Tuille, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Tuille

Tuille

Exp:
    catering chef
    I need to purchase a couple of new pieces of cookware (ones I had grew legs and walked away) but can no longer buy my favorite Sitram Catering, short of ordering it from the Japanese reseller on Amazon.

Does anyone experience with the Sitram lines currently available, how they compare with the Catering line, or any other cookware, other than All Clad, they feel performs similar or even better than Sitram. Not as picky about handles as I am about even heating and no hot spots.

Thanks!

2. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I am also a Sitram user and don't understand why it is not more popular in the US. The all clads are so pricey and I don't think they are practical for a professional setting. Have you reached out to a distributor such Edward Don (a big supplier for restaurants here in Chicago). I would imagine they can get find out where you can purchase them. You can also contact SItram directly through their website. http://sitramusa.com/

3. Tuille

Tuille

Exp:
    catering chef
    Thanks for the advice.

The first time I used a borrowed Sitram pan was when processing a couple of bushels of end-of-summer tomatoes into sauce. I had All Clads and a Le Creuset on the burners and they all had to be carefully tended to prevent scorching as the sauce cooked down- except the Sitram pot. The batch in the Sitram cooked down more quickly and much, much more evenly than the product in the other pots.

From what I understand Sitram has been revamped and the new models are not the same construction as the older ones I'm trying to replace. So, I am hoping to hear from someone who has cooked with the newer models or has found another product that performs equally as well as the original Sitram Catering line . There were a few of the older, discontinued pans floating around but apparently a Japanese company has snapped them up and reselling on Amazon.com for 3x the original price.