New cooking show in the US

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by kimmie, Jul 17, 2001.

1. kimmie

kimmie

Anybody heard of

Sizzlin Summer Chef
    with Michael Lomonaco

Discovery (Canada) refused to air the show here...ARGGGGGGGG

[​IMG]

2. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Kimmie don't get me started!Food Network Canada isn't showing Essence of Emeril - the NEW show that is which is infinitely better than Emeril live. Instead we get James Barber (a lesson in culinary devolution)and other assorted **** . I wouldn't mind the 'Canadian content' rules if we actually got to see GOOD Canadian shows!!! :mad:

3. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Dont you just 'love' these canadian censorship rules ?. If they only applied to television, it would be ok, but the rules also apply to magazines and newspapers, it's not really fair that the publishers have to have a canadian and a U.S. edition for their publications.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: coolJ ]

4. isa

isa

I can live with Canadian and US editions of magazines, it’s not censorship CoolJ it’s to protect our advertisers. Magazines that have no Canadian edition are readily available anyway.

I only wish the Food Network was available through regular cable.

I'm sure no show is as bad as What's For Dinner.

5. kimmie

kimmie

AH! "Ken & Barbie"!

Ken who can't hold a knife and Barbie doesn't know anything about food, sorry, doesn't know anything PERIOD!!!

can't even pronounce t-u-r-m-e-r-i-c

:confused: [​IMG]

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

6. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    When I see those two, I think I deserve my own TV show!!!!!!! James Barber annoys me most of all because he has no regard for sanitation. Observe him handling chicken one day and you'll know what I mean. I keep thinking if I had dinner at his place I'd probably find his beard in my food! I'm surprised he hasn't cut all his fingers off by now; he's another one who can't hold a knife... :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

7. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Wow, all of this inside information is priceless. Wait 'till I tell my friends. :eek:

8. linda smith

linda smith

Ken and Barbie...What a scream Kimmie...They are sooo bad. I recently moved to the country out of the range of cable. I was desperately hoping that I could get the real Food Channel on my shiny new satellite dish. WRONG! Not available - Insert Food TV Canada. Thank you CRTC. I wonder if our American friend would enjoy learning more about K & B?

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Linda Smith ]

9. kimmie

kimmie

Hum, something to ponder over...

they have a lovely cookbook...bleurk!

[​IMG]

10. papa

papa

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Dear Friends:

What we need is a show with Antony Worrall Thompson!

I know that this Chef gets on many people's nerves but I adore him! Even the "Volvo" of British cuisine declared that she trully loves him! I do not agree with everything he says but he is real! I wonder if he is a member of the Chef Talk Cafe. I used to watch him on "Ready, Steady, Cook". What a wonderful program that was!

:)

11. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I think what's needed is a new cooking show format. I'm tired of the same old guy and girl behind a counter cooking some boring thing or another. I liked the two fat ladies-they went to market, robbed some chickens of eggs and then, in a completely natural way, threw together a great meal. It wasn't about some fake, put-on personality, or acrobatics, or any kind of song & dance--just good food and and a relaxed approach to it.

I'm not sure what I'm suggesting here, but something different. All the shows seem the same to me.

12. kimmie

kimmie

I HAVE to tell this story to show how horrible Ken and Barbie are on that show: my significant other, (to whom I alluded the other day as wanting only hot dogs & fries) has a corresponding understanding of food preparation and haute cuisine. But even he stood up and took notice when he saw a part of their show on Risotto, where Barbie explained that if you wanted to save time, you could pour all the liquid in at once!!! Although he wouldn't know a Risotto from a rhizome (bless his pointy little head) he knew that Risotto was Italian, involved some odd rice, and that the preparation was TIME-CONSUMING, involving small amounts of liquid at a time! How come Barbie didn't know that? :eek: :confused:

13. anneke

anneke

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Kimmie, have you seen her on Canada AM? I can honestly say that there is one reason and one reason only that she got on the show: she has good hair. It's embarrasing! They do a little table-ronde every now and then of Canada's stupidest people. I include Valery Pringle and her buddy on that list. All in all, they make a fine group! :p

14. kimmie

kimmie

Anneke,

Sorry I missed her. That must have been fun!

[​IMG]

15. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Not sure who Ken and Barbie are, but it must be a howl!

I've seen the Michael Lomonico show. It's pretty good- lots better than the Epicurious shows he did most recently; I didn't much like the female co-host. She seemed a bit of an airhead.

16. isa

isa

Trust me Mezz you don't want to do it. It's everything a cooking show shouldn't be. Plus those two are the worst hosts ever. And the recipes are not even tempting.

Their goal is to make dinner in 30 minutes. Did I mention they don't have much imagination.

17. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I know what you mean about Ken and Barbie, I don't watch their show, unless of course, I don't have a choice or am bored to tears and really have nothing else to do. Has anybody watched his other show, ken and company, how does he get away with a dog in the kitchen ?

18. linda smith

linda smith

Ken and Company - AKA ken without Barbie. Did they have a nasty break up? I kinda like the dog in the kitchen - best part of the show. - Rushed right out to buy his book - Hah!

19. kimmie

kimmie

A dog in the kitchen!!! [​IMG]

Never seen the show!?

[​IMG]

20. kimmie

kimmie

Hey KyleW,

That's a nice find. Thank you.

Like you said, we better behave!!

[​IMG]