New cooker needs help!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by bobhsr108, Jan 6, 2006.

1. bobhsr108

bobhsr108

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    :bounce: Hi to all, a recently retired dad want's to learn how to cook. I'm a basic cook and my wife even bought me a grilling cook book if that helps! I have a pork loin I want to serve this weekend and would like some easy ideas to make it. I have young kids and can't stay over the stove. I am a new domesticated home care provider! I think that's politically correct!

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Welcome! to cooking and to ChefTalk!! :D

Pork loin, eh? If it's conventional pork and you want to roast it, it's going to need help with moisture, since it won't have enough fat to keep it moist in the cooking. Do a search here on "brining" and you'll get some suggestions for how to add flavor and moisture. Just a couple of hours in a brine should be enough. Then you can roast it or braise it -- Epicurious.com has 93 recipes for pork loin. (There are tons of recipe sites, but epicurious.com is one of the most trustworthy.)

Have a look around ChefTalk -- you'll find recommendations on cookbooks for people just like you, who are new to the game :D and I do mean game because cooking is the most fun I know, after maybe playing with the kids!

3. jonk

jonk

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I second both of Suzanne's suggestions. We've made several pork loin recipes from Epicurious.com, most recently one filled with an apricot and leek stuffing (we used the modification attached to the recipe and dried apricots which had been soaked in apricot liquor), along with a sauce drived from the pan drippings and chicken broth. It was a hit.

Though the recipe didn't call for it, we brined the pork overnight as experience has taught us that roasting today's lean pork dries it out very easily.

Treated well, this can be a very economical and tasty cut to serve a crowd.

4. bobhsr108

bobhsr108

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Phew, lotta info. Thanks, it's defrosted now. I think I'm going to give it a whack today. Gotta see how the kids do.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Bobhs108,
    Your comment on thawing led me to think. Since you're a newbie at this,I'm going to suggest you go online and pull down some information on food handling. Most foodborne illness occurs at home. We want to keep those kiddos healthy.;)
    If you can't find anything, let me know and I'll send you some.
    Pan

6. bobhsr108

bobhsr108

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    thanks, one thing I always due unless it's my personnal steak is over cook! Because of the kids. Wife does too!