New chef knife

Joined Jun 3, 2015
MillionsKnives is right about the "Pro" DP line.  Same blade (sanmai cladded construction), different handle, higher price and probably higher profit margins to the distributor and/or retailer.

I would not bother with the "color coded" knives.  Plain old Molybdenum Vanadium steel may be okay for European quality knives, but aren't in the same quality range as VG-10 core steel knives.

You might want to look at Pete's Kitchenwares for the Tojiro DP 240 mm gyuto, Model F-809 at RM362.00.  The website for the F-809 is: http://peteskitchenwares.com/product/f809-chef-knife/

Hope that helps.

Galley Swiller
I'm fully aware of the link you gave as that was where I planned to get the Tojiro DP. There are only 2 dealers in my country, one the website you gave me and another which is very near to where I live. Maybe I'll ask if they can somehow get the Tojiro DP imported for me haha. I really wanted to hold the knife in person before purchasing and if I can't then I'll take a risk and buy it from peteskitchenware

Joined Jun 3, 2015
So since for some reason I don't know how to post new posts anymore on my phone I'm just gonna resurrect this post. I've decided to get the tojiro pro dp due to it actually being cheaper and due to HACCP rules at my workplace. Now I'm looking for a knife guard that will fit the knife. Looking for something like Bisbell or the global knife guard. Again due to haccp rules cardboard and wood is out of the question

Joined Nov 15, 2012
That's GREAT Cysoon!  I have a feeling you'll have your own place before you know it.

For guards you could probably find some Mylar sheets somewhere,  they can be folded, stapled following the edge profile and trimmed for some very serviceable guards.

Rick

Joined Jun 3, 2015
So I bought and used the tojiro do for 2 weeks. OOTB edge is to me ok but when I sharpened it earlier it is crazy how sharp it can get and I'm sure I have not reached maximum sharpness yet! Overall I'm very happy with this knife.
Sharpened on 1000 grit ceramic and a fine natural stone. Bought the king 4000 grit stone. Should be here in about 2-3 weeks.
Burr is PITA to remove. Took me very long to remove it. Pulled through wooden cutting board, stropped on stones and newspaper. Burr is easy to form difficult to remove. Sharpened at approximately 10-12 degrees per side.
Sliced through shallots, spring onion and even ginger with minimal force by using the weight of the knife itself and no resistance at all.
Overall very happy with this knife and thank you to those who recommended this knife to me.

Joined Nov 15, 2012
Yes VG-10 is a PITA to deburr, but using a Micro-bevel makes it much easier.  First raise a burr at about 10deg, micro-bevel around 15+, even 20 is not too much.  VG-10 holds an edge very much better at 15+, whether by design or accident it was essentially made to work in that range.

Great video for deburring

Last edited:
Joined Aug 6, 2015
Seems to be the case for me as well. I've noticed a huge difference in edge durability/retention after easing the shoulders on my Tojiro with light thinning, then raising the bevel angle to around 15, was probably closer to 10 before. 

Joined Apr 25, 2014
Yeah I use the J shape motion Jon shows in the video or simply a edge trailing stropping motion with lighter and lighter pressure. Knock off the burr on every stone before continuing. You shouldnt raise much burr from a finishing stone.

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Random question. Do you mind scratches on your knife? I personally do not mind them as I think that having it sharp is more important.
Another question, how do you maintain the shape of your knife? As in the curve area?

Joined Aug 6, 2015
I experiment with polishing some of my less fancy knives. Don't particularly like loads of scratches but I live with them. Having really coarse scratches on the blade (like thinning vs incidental sharpening scratches) matters more for carbon steel blades as those are harder to dry completely and therefore more prone to rust.
I use a marker/sharpie to help make sure I'm hitting the curve evenly during sharpening. I try to check and make sure the burr on the curved part of the edge is not significantly bigger or smaller than on the rest of the knife edge.

Joined Jun 3, 2015
Did micro-beveling earlier on my tojiro and by touch I do feel a significant difference. Watched Jon from JKI and did only one side, will test them out at work tmr and see how different is the performance

Top Bottom