New Chef in Town

Discussion in 'New User Introductions' started by gsuchef, Sep 30, 2012.

1. gsuchef

gsuchef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    My name is GSUchef  and I am a chef!

Obviously, I am new to the forum and I am looking forward to "meeting" and "talking" with other culinary professionals and enthusiasts.

I have been working in restaurants since I was 15. It was a Chinese restaurant and I was hired a waiter. I hated it. I would go hide out in the kitchen talking with the cooks and prep. Eventually they showed me a few things and I thought that was awesome. One day I came in to work and my name wasn't on the line up, the owner told me in broken English that I will no longer be working as a server and that my new position was in the kitchen as prep and line cook. I thought he was pulling my leg, but no he wasn't I was going to be running the stir fry station, complete with three large jet burner woks, on the upcoming weekend. That Friday night I was neck deep in the weeds with no relief in sight. I managed to keep afloat and I survived. That was almost twenty years ago and  I still keep in touch with that older Chinese man and I blame him for my cooking addiction.

I went on to culinary school, JWU, I have worked many long days and long hours and I am still enthralled with the magic of the kitchen. 

Again I am looking forward to meeting and talking with fellow chefs and exchanging war stories about all the crazy things we have seen and experienced.

2. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome!

I'm not a chef, just a very enthusiastic amateur, but the beauty of this site is that there are all sorts of members, from around the globe, joined in a love of food.

Feel free to join in on any thread you find interesting, or start your own in the relevant forum.  There are three professionals-only fora, but I hope you won't restrict your postings to those, as many of us (amateurs) cannot post there.

The wikis, blogs, articles, reviews and photography on the site are all well-worth spending time to view.

Hope to see you around the boards!

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    WELCOME ABOARD.

4. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Welcome GSU, I look forward to seeing you around the boards.

Petals.