New bug, no cursor in reply box

Discussion in 'Report Site Problems' started by maryb, Oct 10, 2010.

1. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    I am not getting a cursor in the reply box(or this one as I type) and the backspace key doesn't work. Using firefox's latest version on XP service pack 3

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    In the reply box, click on the box marked "source". You should be able to type then.

3. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    What happens when you click in the reply box?

4. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Don't know about anybody else but when I hit post reply, the left alignment button is blue highlighted and I can't type anything. I click on source and then I can type.

5. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ditto!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

This happened multiple times to me too. I'm using Firefox 3.6.10 on Mac. This happened twice after I accidentally detached a tab window that I was in the middle of writing out from the main browser window. The cursor disappeared and I couldn't do anything. It came back after I refresh the page. (I had to copy whatever I was writing before I refresh the browser not to lose the content)

But as cheflayne suggested, the cursor is back after I switch to source mode by clicking the Source button in the toolbar and then click the Source again to come back to the wysiwyg editor.

7. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
     I have had this happen to me as well and I'm also using firefox on the mac.  I've never lost the content but not having the cursor there definitely makes it challenging to type.

8. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I use Firefox exclusively in Linux and Windows and haven't had the problem though this cursor issue is a known bug in how this platform interacts with Firefox. If you've upgraded to the latest version of Firefox  (3.6.11 (this week I think) most of this should be gone.

Future versions of the platform are planned to have a simpler more compliant editor option.