New Bakery blues

Joined Sep 28, 2018
I used to be in IT and changed my career to be a baker. I opened a bakery in Seattle but am seeking a partner who can be part of operations. What are some challenges and benefits of going this route?

Joined Aug 21, 2004
No twp people think alike. When I opened a restaurant, I had a partner that I thought I knew well. We knew each other on a personal and professional level having worked together for a couple of years. Made it a year and it became obvious we had different views on how to run a restaurant. I bought him out. Two heads are not always better than one.

Joined Feb 18, 2007
Do you need a partner or an operations manager? Those are two different things. An operations manager can make things work, with the goals you've set to achieve; by hiring the right staff, setting production schedules, keeping an eye on food costs, etc. A partner is going to want to set the goals and their vision might not align with yours. Think about why you want a partner - to share the financial risk? To share the workload? You can get working capital if you need money (do not go to a loanshark though! Those places who call and say they will give you working capital with no supporting documents....) but if what you need is someone who can handle day to day operations, hire for that.

Joined Sep 28, 2018
Thank you both for very good advices, I will hire and seek financial advices and keep moving forward.

Latest posts

Top Bottom