new and I have questions

Joined Jan 8, 2002
I have been at my current job over 2 years. While it pays well and has wonderful benefits, I'm not longer challenged by what I do and really just don't like being here anymore.

I've always enjoyed cooking and I love to bake. My mom has jokingly been suggesting that I go to a cooking school since I finished my BS (medicinal chemistry) because I'm always complaining about how bored I am with my work.
Well, I'm starting to think seriously about the idea.
problem is... I don't know what I would want to do when I'm finished.
It's been my dream since college to someday open a florist/nursery/bakery of my own (i also love to grow things), but since I want to do what seems to me to be so much, I'm just not sure about it. My plan is to start small and start with the baking. There are a few community colleges near where I live that have programs that I could afford and for now, take classes in the evening or on weekends (not for credit)

So, my questions are (you were wondering when I would get to that, weren't you):
What can I do when I'm done with a cooking school?
Do I have to have a degree to do it, or can I just take tons of the evening/weekend classes so I can keep working and afford to live (still paying off undergrad loans)?
And anything else that think would be good for me to know.

Thanks!

Joined Mar 4, 2000
You don't need a degree, necessarily. It all depends on how much education you want, and whether you can get the knowledge you need through courses alone. I would suggest working for business(es) similar to the one you wish to open. Do this before, during,and for at least a year after getting your education. The industry experience (if you land a good job) can replace school experience, but you will need business and marketing classes specifically focused on the food industry.

isa

Joined Apr 4, 2000
Welcome Trudy!

Running a business of any kind requires a big investment, not only in money but time. Before you actually open a business make sure you have a sound business plan.

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Hi, Trudy - Salem, Mass - hmmm - you could open up a witchy kind of bakery and sell all those potion herbs! Just kidding - I love Salem!

Latest posts

Top Bottom