Never trust a _____ chef.

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by vzank, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Skinny

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Fat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. vzank

vzank

I've always heard the saying "Never trust a skinny chef". With the explanation of lack of experience, taste, knowledge, quantity of food consumed etc . etc. etc.

Now in days, I hear " Never trust a fat chef" Because they will eat anything, have a lack of dicipline etc. etc etc.

What's your opinion?

2. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Ironically, I've written to magazines to complain about how "drawn" chefs (cartoons, etc.) are portrayed as fat men. Chefs are no longer necessarily fat, nor are we all men anymore. It's an old stereotype. As a matter of fact, I think chefs are in the best position to be fit because we know which foods are most likely to cause obesity (if consumed with wreckless abandon) and which foods can add flavor without a huge calorie cost. Cooking is tough on the body and clocking all those miles in the kitchen expends calories.

An obese chef is probably depending too much on butter and cream in his or her culinary repertoire.

3. nick.shu

nick.shu

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    *snort* too right

hehe, should see the dude i work with. and he has the old world disease of gout. and hes younger than me.

i cant help but say, that the difference between a good chef and a great chef is knowing when to stop.

4. leo r.

leo r.

Does a person`s weight indicate their level of skills?Like heck it does!!VZank,watch out for the politically correct brigade or you`ll be accused of improper thinking.:rolleyes:

5. chefbk

chefbk

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't think that skinny chefs don't have the experience etc. I am thin 6'2" and 200 lbs, and I do very well for myself.
    Another example is Tony Bourdain.
    BK

6. chiffonade

chiffonade

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think you are more the present "norm." (Not the one from Cheers either!).

7. mike

mike

Feed that belly......heehee.......I must confess to a little paunch...it has to do with turning 40 & has absolutely nothing to do with my love of butter cream sugar & belly pork.

8. pongi

pongi

Hi guys,
    please enlighten me! Can chefbk be considered "thin" for American standards? If my conversion is correct, he is about 185 cm and 90 kilos, which makes me a bit puzzled ;)

Pongi

9. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    although I'm quite ripped, I trust most seasoned chefs. If they can hang in this business they must be dedicated. I personally never trust a chef who smokes.

10. mike

mike

Pour Quoi ?

11. peachcreek

peachcreek

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I agree. Never trust a _______ chef. They are the worst kind!Of course, I feel that way about all ______ people, regardless of what they do for a living! Being ______ must just _______!!!!! Personally I could never be ______, but some folks have called me that before.... How about those ______ cooks, anyway!

12. mike

mike

LOL Peachcreek,
    Reminds me of the saying;" Im not prejuidiced....I hate everybody"

13. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    That should exclude all Frenchmen :D

j/k. You know in Quebec restaurants they have two smoking sections? Smoking and chain smoking? :)

On a more serious note, if you smoke, please make an effort to quit.

14. ritafajita

ritafajita

when one is sitting in the dining area, placing one's order, how does one determine whether the person preparing the food is a smoker... or fat...or skinny? What's the difference, if the food tastes good?
    RF

15. mike

mike

Whats wrong with smoking in the kitchen, I do it as often as I can,

Salmon, duck, trout, eel ,chicken, are all great smoked.

Boom Boom.!

16. chef nosko

chef nosko

I do not have a problem with a skinny or fat chef.

I think you should not trust a "Slick Chef". Ah, you know the type.
    Hair a little too perfect - Uniform never gets dirty - drenched in cologne - one who acts like they are running for Mayor instead of running a kitchen.

I'll take the Skinny or Fat chef any day of the week over one of these......:eek:

17. soussweets

soussweets

well said nosko. i myself have always been on the side of never trust a skinny chef, cuz i want to be well trusted! some chefs are sooooooo good that they can't help but enjoy their own. :lol: :chef: :beer:

18. cheffoxx

cheffoxx

I was offended by peachtree's comments. I am as far from fat as you can get, but I still don't appreciate discrimination of any kind. Back to the subject, A fat chef is probably fat because he isn't in the kitchen, but rather an office. I trust a chef IN the kitchen. Try and stay fat working in a restaurant that does 100s of covers a night around 500degree equipment. I challenge anyone. Furthermore, try and maneuver around a small kitchen with other people and a gut. And I also agree that smoking can affect your palette in a bad way.:eek:

19. chrose

chrose

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    :confused:

Ladies and gentlemen allow me to introduce Paul Prudhomme and Patrick Clarke to name just two of many!

20. chef2be

chef2be

I was seriously offended by ChefFoxx's 'fat comments.' I personally work in a busy restaurant doing 250+ covers a night. And guess what, i'm not the skinniest person! I will admit, i'm not FAT, but I deffinatly do have a gut. So you have been challanged, and been beat. Don't judge a book by it's cover. And as yourself, I don't appreciate descrimination of any kind either. :mad: