Never thought about doing this before (Knife Skills)

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by kuan, Apr 17, 2017.

1. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yeah?  Right?  What do you think?

2. allanmcpherson

allanmcpherson

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Well, damn.  Now I feel like a punter.  Me being me, I can't help but wondering about stuffing the skin....

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    There must be some layer of flesh still under that skin, and maybe the point is to then debone the loin and use other seafood to stuff the shell?

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    It looks like bad butchery to me.  What's the point of this?  The bones are still in the fish and you still have to deal with them so you've not saved any time.  

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Looks to me like he took the guts and "ribs"/bones out from inside the fish and left the fillets still attached to the skin...to be stuffed with whatever. Actually looks pretty neat...assuming that that what's left behind is indeed skin and meat. If it is just the skin then yeah, I don't see the point lol. 

Kind of like deboning a chicken if you left it whole and didn't cut down the back first...

6. angtagaluto

angtagaluto

Exp:
    Home Cook
    the very first step for making milk fish relleno, (one of pinoys special occasion dishes) and what he did is the hard part, (he's a pro doing the same task every day) taking the fish meat with out tearing the skin. once the meat is out, you separate the meat from the bone, mix meat with ground pork, season meat concoction, and stuff back in, bake or grill, you can wrap the stuffed fish with banana leaves of course. (i'm newb to this community, thanks for letting me join)

scott livesey and kuan like this.