Never cooked Pecan pie, how do I make it right?

Joined Jun 27, 2017
So I see recipes online on how to make a pecan pie, but I was also looking at pecan cobbler but saw some people say they were burning theirs so I figured pecan pie might be easier. is there any special way to cook a pecan pie or anything to worry about? I never baked or cooked anything sweet like this before. Typically I just throw things together with random amounts of seasoning, but the recipes I see for this seem to be very specific so I guess I have to be anal about the amount of ingredients I use?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Follow the recipe on the Karo Syrup bottle; it really is a good one. Seriously.

But, seriously... pecan cobbler... you can’t be serious.

Last edited:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Cooking and baking are 2 very different beasts. With cooking you don't need to be nearly as precise as with a lot of baking. Baking often requires ingredients in a certain ratio otherwise it won't come out properly. Of course, not all baking recipes require such attention to detail, but many do. Take your pecan pie, for example. It uses eggs to set properly. Too few eggs and your pie won't have a good set. Too many eggs and your pie will be too dense and taste way too "eggy." I can't attest to the recipe on the karo syrup bottle as I have many other recipes for pecan pie, but if brianshaw and chefbillyb suggest it, you can't go wrong.

Joined Jun 23, 2015
Pecan Pie
3 eggs
3/4 cup brown
sugar
1/2 cup Red Karo
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup pecans
1 pinch salt
1/2 stick butter
, melted
Mix and bake in uncooked pie crust 325 ° for 35 minutes or until firm

Easy and very very good.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Note: both karo light (red label) and dark (blue label) have the identical recipe. I’ve made it both ways and, to be very honest, cannot tell the difference. But for whatever reason I tend to use the dark most often.

The Karo recipe Specifies a 9-inch pie tin and has 1-1/2 cup nuts, which really is necessary. Perhaps if your using a 8-inch pie tin 1 cup is sufficient, IDK. That, though, can be somewhat adjusted on the fly.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
While I like just straight, old Pecan Pie, a couple of my favorite versions are Maple Pecan Pie, where the corn syrup (Karo) is substituted with real maple syrup. Or Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie, where I add some chocolate chunks to the bottom of the pie and add bourbon to the mixture (this one if my favorite version).

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Bourbon... whether in the pie or on the side... just what is needed to cut through that cloying sweetness and cavity-inducing filling.

Chocolate, too... my family likes a pecan-chocolate bar cookie. But I’ve dialed back the chocolate to just an occasional hit of flavor so the emphasis is on the pecan filling. A classic riff on the basic classic!

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
Bourbon... whether in the pie or on the side... just what is needed to cut through that cloying sweetness and cavity-inducing filling.

Chocolate, too... my family likes a pecan-chocolate bar cookie. But I’ve dialed back the chocolate to just an occasional hit of flavor so the emphasis is on the pecan filling. A classic riff on the basic classic!
That is why I use the chunks. I don't want chocolate to infuse the whole pie-just bursts of it as you eat a slice.

Joined Oct 9, 2008
The late Paul Prudhomme invented a sweet potato pecan pie. I believe that recipe is on his website. If you follow the instructions to the letter, it's spectacular. I have substuted pumpkin for the sweet potatoes and it was also amazing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom