Nervous about coming back to the kitchen

Joined Sep 28, 2021
Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice. I’ve been working in restaurants since I was 17. A few years back I helped open a new restaurant as a sous chef, it ended up being hugely popular and extremely busy that we lost most of the chefs in the first few months, the owners never really hired new ones they just got temp chefs in to make up the numbers. The pressure ended up giving me severe anxiety and I ended up pretty ill. So I left and stepped back from the kitchen for a while (16 months now) to work on my health. I’m now in a much better place, I’m desperate to get back into the kitchen but at the same time I’m crapping myself that It’ll all go downhill again or that I won’t have the same skills I had.

Has anyone been through something similar and can offer any advice to me?

Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
Well, pick your place carefully. Your skills should be fine. I've found that the people who make up management are a great indicator of how your job will work out. Do some surveillance and intelligence gathering about any place you want to work and get an idea of the current situation there.
Of course, management can change too after you get hired so that's no guarantee that things as they appear at first will stay that way but it does help to narrow the search.
I would also focus on knowing what drove the anxiety. The circumstances you found yourself in are beyond your control (and will be in future) so all you can control is your reaction to them. So identify what made you sweat and figure out how to handle it better. Because no place is perfect and it will most certainly all go downhill again in one way or another, just not the same way as last time.
Good luck.

Joined Aug 22, 2021
Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice. I’ve been working in restaurants since I was 17. A few years back I helped open a new restaurant as a sous chef, it ended up being hugely popular and extremely busy that we lost most of the chefs in the first few months, the owners never really hired new ones they just got temp chefs in to make up the numbers. The pressure ended up giving me severe anxiety and I ended up pretty ill. So I left and stepped back from the kitchen for a while (16 months now) to work on my health. I’m now in a much better place, I’m desperate to get back into the kitchen but at the same time I’m crapping myself that It’ll all go downhill again or that I won’t have the same skills I had.

Has anyone been through something similar and can offer any advice to me?

Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.
This is the right place to ask this type of question.

First things first, what are you new boundaries? lets list them and discuss each one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom