Need suggestions for a knife set to give as a Christmas present

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by wek29, Nov 21, 2016.

1. wek29

wek29

Exp:
    Home Cook
    My son and Daughter in law mentioned they would like a new knife set and set me a link to an 18 piece set by Wusthof - http://www.crateandbarrel.com/wüsthof-gourmet-18-piece-knife-block-set/s350414 I've been reading here for a short time trying to find knives for myself and realize that this is not a super set, but would it be good enough for everyday use and some entertaining? I do prefer getting a set as I would not know enough to get individual pieces for them - this actually started as a discussion around steak knives, which after reading here doesn't make sense.

2. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Will y'all really use even close to 18 knives, or even a half or a third of that? No point paying for knives you won't use unless the goal is to impress others.

3. meezenplaz

meezenplaz

Exp:
    Sous Chef, Event Manager
    First, knives are kinda personal, a function of how they look, feel in your hand, and what youre going to do with them. You might consider giving them a gift certificate in the suitable price range from a reputable cutlery place with a varied selection, rather than try to choose knives for them.
    Second, Ive been given several of these knife block sets over the years, people love to give them as gifts, so shiny and cool lookin. But the fact is, I use about 4 knives for home use: standard Chef knife, about 75%, serated bread knife 20%, the remaning 5% devoted to boning knife, and occasionally a 12 inch meat slicer.
    Steak knives are ok if entertaining, and serving meat often.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    flipflopgirl likes this.
  4. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    If they sent you the link, presumably that is what appeals to them. And you know them and their needs far better than do we who only have one post on the topic. Part of me thinks that if you get them what they want you will be giving the best gift a parent can give, Another part of me thinks that a gift certificate in that amount would be even better since it gives them the opportunity to decide for themselves. Knives are rather personal but you should know them and their desires/needs better than we do.  :)

5. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Yes, don't think I'd have you try and talk the kids into choosing entry-level "real" knives.  Likely too esoteric a concept for them.

But rather than a new set of knives maybe they would see advantage in an electric sharpener for the ones they already have.  A lot of [young] folks just use these knives till the edge is just one serious flat, then ask the parents for another one to wear down.  At least with the electric sharpener they can always have something with an edge, of sorts.  

6. wek29

wek29

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks all for the replies. I think they are pretty much a lot of what I was thinking, but I am having a hard enough time figuring out single knives to get for myself to try an help them find single ones. That is of course a whole other post and I may be beyond help as I was given a Shun knife that I thought was great until reading here that I can get the same quality for less...but I digress. If I go with a smaller set of the more likely to be used knives, are there some good brands you can recommend? I don't know if it's worth trying to sharpen the ones they have and I would like to have something nice for them for entertaining. After reading on here, I don't want to get a $300 set of steak knives but I would like to add steak knives to the set just for the sake of being complete.

7. rick alan

rick alan

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Steak knives are easy, beautiful ones here for cheap, take your pick:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...IVES.TRS0&_nkw=LAGUIOLE+STEAK+KNIVES&_sacat=0

You can get a knife block for about 20 bucks:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...d-keywords=knife+block&rh=i:aps,k:knife+block  ......

Or just reuse the kid's present block

I'll let someone else pick out 3 entry level kitchen knives, then tell the kids to buy themselves and electric sharpener, unless you still have some generosity left.

Or send the kid's present knives to a a local sharpening service who will do them for 2 or 3 bucks each, and then buy them an electric sharpener.

But I see little point in them getting another [not so cheap] cheap knife set, except it's the easiest thing to do.

Oh, and any small group of entry level Japanese knives are going to be far better than what they have/asked for.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  8. foody518

foody518

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    http://korin.com/Knives/Knife-Gift-Sets_2 they might have a December sale?
    http://japanesechefsknife.com/JCKSpecialKnifeSet.html should have a December sale but not sure if discounts apply to the sets
    Look at the gyuto, petty sets as a starting point

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/gesshin-specials piecemeal on those, contact about timetable on restocks I guess

I use one knife for like 90% of cutting tasks, don't see the need to get more than 3-4 knives plus the steak knives you're wanting to get

9. wek29

wek29

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks Rick, I was thinking the set in the link might not be much of an upgrade and certainly not anything of any real quality or beauty.

Foody518, thank you for the links. I am really liking the JCK Special Set "First Japanese Knife Set" by Misono. At that price I could give them a sharpening set, maybe not electric and still be able to do some steak knives.