Need some Family meal ideas.

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by sweetjames, Oct 16, 2010.

1. sweetjames

sweetjames

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I need some ideas for some family meal dishes.

I need to be able to feed 40 or so people.  We usually have for protiens,  pork loin, top round, scrap salmon, ground beef, and eggs to work with as our protiens.   left over rice pilaf, whipped potatoes, pastas for starches.  and what ever veg scraps are around (tomatoes, mirepox, etc).

i know it sounds like there are alot of possibilites for all that, but alot of times we're stuck with very little protiens, and mostly starches.    i need some ideas for dishes where i can make a little go a long way as far as the protiens go.

anyone have any ideas to suggest?

2. babytiger

babytiger

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Ground beef + whipped potato + some vegetables = shepherd/cottage pie

There are lots of possibilities with pasta. You can mix and match the protein with vegetables with sauce to create different pasta dishes. If you don't use protein in the sauce and want something more substantial, you can top the pasta with fried eggs. If you have breadcrumb (or leftover bread to make breadcrumb), toast it up and add some texture to the pasta. Add some eggs to leftover pasta and turn that into a pasta pie/frittata.

Fried rice and stir-fry noodle (use leftover pasta) are also good ways to stretch protein. Rice pilaf can probably go into a casserole.

3. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    stroganoff

pasta pies (couple of recipes around here, try a search)

fried rices

Biriyani

potato casserole, or pan fried potato cakes (any style of potato is great this way) or twice baked potato filling, since i am assuming you won't have skins to pipe into

cottage pies (as already mentioned)

soup

omelettes

S.O.S or Stuff on a Shingle