need recipe help--yeast batches in 30 qt

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by muffin, Apr 22, 2006.

1. muffin

muffin

Exp:
    At home cook
    Thanks for welcoming me. This is my first time going to a chat room (I thik I'm in a chat room)! I enjoy baking and my husband and I bake for farmer's markets in our area. I especially need help with recipes for yeast breads using a 30 qt Hobart. What size batch can I do in a 30? I have an 80 qt Hobart but I'm told that it's obsolete. I just purchased a dough hook for my 30 when I was told that I probably couldn't find one for my 80. Oh, I do seem to be rather gabby don't I. I'm not usually!:crazy:
    Muffin

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Welcome to Chef Talk, Muffin.

This is a bulletin board rather than a chat room. The "conversations" are not in 'real time'. Simply post your thoughts and sooner or later someone will respond. Just look down the list of forums and choose the best one for your questions. Just ask one of the moderators if you have questions. Our names are listed in the right-hand column of the main page.

I'm moving your question to a baking forum where it'll attract the answers and attention it deserves. Enjoy the board!

Regards,
    Mezzaluna

3. erik

erik

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    Muffin,

I've used 80 quarts more than 30 quarts professionally, but I guess they could be obsolete. The biggest batch of bread dough I've mixed comfortably in a 30 quart was 20 lbs. Does than help?

4. castironchef

castironchef

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Contact Hobart, or your local Hobart rep.

They have charts that show max. batch sizes of various foods (including bread doughs) for the various sizes of mixers. (Heck, I even think that you might be able to find it on the Hobart website.)

Also, you can monitor eBay for dough hooks for 80 qt. Hobarts. The great thing about Hobarts is that they'll survive darned near anything this side of a direct nuclear blast, so there is a huge used mixer and accessories market. I'm sure that you'll be able to find an 80 qt. dough hook out there.

5. erik

erik

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    I'm not sure I believe you. Would a direct nuclear blast really ruin a Hobart mixer?