Need recipe for extrodinary chips

Joined Mar 3, 2002
Hi-
My boss wants to serve chips with our sandwiches, not just homemade! But potato chips with different seasoning. I thought rst garlic/herb or Nantucket..using old bay. Anyone have any ideas???????? Please help?????????
BK :rolleyes:

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Could be anything you want! If you could serve souffle potatoes with your sandwiches I'll give you a triple platinum medal. ;)

Joined May 26, 2001
What is the rest of your food like? Any particular cuisine? You could always gear your "sprinkle" to the ethnicity (if any) of your kitchen.

OTOH, you could powder just about any blend of dried herbs/spices, mix with salt, and put in shakers to sprinkle on at plating. That would set your place apart nicely. Are there blends you already use? I admit to a distinct partiality to Old Bay, myself, but that's not all that unusual. I make my own Middle Eastern (ras al hanout) and Indian (garam masala) blends -- would something like that work for you? The only caveats I can offer are: keep away from garlic and onion powders (too phony tasting), and add your own salt.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I've had fresh chips with a sprinkle of blue cheese and then a quick trip through the salamander. Very tasty.

Phil

Joined Oct 13, 2001
Chips need to be seasoned the second they are pulled and drained from the fryer for the seasoning to stay with it.Potato chips in america are those thin sliced salted things we like to eat watching sporting events.Also come in bags marked Lays .Now if you are talking french fries(which the english call chips) then you have slightly more leeway.
What kind of chip are you refering to?Doug................

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
All those chip ideas sound great, Suzanne!!! But I have to admit, I am partial to homemade BBQ chips. I make my own BBQ seasoning using Chipotle Powder, cinnamon, salt, sugar, black pepper, cumin, coriander, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and dried oregano. Once I mix it I then put it in a spice grinder to pulverize it to a fine powder that sticks really well to my potato chips.

Joined Jul 11, 2004
Hello Pete,
Do you just throw the spices together or do you have a recipe? It sounds good, but I'm not sure about the flavor mix with the cinnamon in it.

Cake Lady
:confused:

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
I don't have an exact recipe. I just kind of throw the spices in to taste. Things like the cinnamon and oregano need to be used very sparingly. Start with just a little, you can always add more. Neither of these should you really taste in the mix, it just helps to round out the flavor and give an "added something" that you really can't make out.

Joined Aug 11, 2000
how about beet or celery root chips, I also like yucca and plantains...sweetpotato are great with spicy bbq too :p

Joined Mar 3, 2002
Thanks for all the ideas folks! They sound great! The menu is going to be a classic deli for lunch(big sandwiches, very fresh) and the chips will be served with the sandwiches. Dinner is American casual...steaks, lobster cakes, seafood and a few pastas.
BK :)

Joined Apr 14, 2004
How about gaufrettes (waffle chips) with your choice of seasoning? All you need is a mandolin. I like to use finely powdered sea salt or popcorn salt (which is just powdered regular salt) on the chips right out of the fryer.
Mild jalepeno powder mixed with Lawry's and granulated garlic is a nice mix too. I make chili fries or chips by using the previous ingredients and adding chili powder.

Joined Jun 28, 2004
i can honestly say that i love potatoe chips.

i grew up with classic british crisps (chips) which include

smokey bacon, sausage and tomatoe, prawn cocktail (corn snack), cheese and onion, beef and onion, roast chicken, ok ok to cut a long story short try

http://walkers.corpex.com/cr15p5/pro...snacktypeid=26

on the left hand side are the flavours they have...ahhh childhood...

here in the states there are the chesapeake crab seasoning chips which are good

something i haven't had in a very long time is scampi and lemon flavour crisps

Joined Oct 13, 2001
Wow,this realy takes chips to another level!I would say the sky is the limit on flavoring chips.Thanks for the link papagooner and welcome to cheftalk.
Doug..................

Latest posts

Top Bottom