Need idea for lite and refreshing side dish

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, Jan 23, 2014.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Hey All,

We are having 6 people over for dinner and I am preparing roast chicken and was looking for a nice lite side dish. Something along the lines of a Jimica and green apple slaw but it doesn't seem to hit the mark in my mind. Any ideas and recipes for a lite refreshing side would be appreciated it.

Thanks,

2. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
  3. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Fennel and mango (or carrot) slaw either like a Malay onion, or a quick kimchee, or Moroccan influenced with orange flower water, mint, olive oil, and cardamom.

4. abaff410

abaff410

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Do you already have a starch in the meal? You could make chilled amaranth with a simple vinaigrette, shaved fennel and some tender greens, such as pea greens or baby arugula. It doubles as a salad and a starch. Best of luck!

5. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I enjoy a big salad with grilled or roasted chicken.  Another thought is, a salad of chilled asparagus, surrounded with sliced tomatoes, S&P, over a bed of butter lettuce, dressed with vinaigrette, served on a platter - with crusty bread on the side.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Thanks all for the contributions.

@cheflayne  I was thinking of a fennel salad but was concerned not everyone enjoys the licorice flavor. I like the fennel and mango.

@abaff410  Amaranth is not something I am aware is common here in the states but I like your idea.

@Cerise  I like your idea but I was trying to stay in season a bit and I don't think  I can get any decent asparagus at this time.

My main concern is I am not sure of the tastes of the guests we will be serving so I am not sure how far outside the line I can go. In other words I am not sure how adventurous I can get.

7. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    I just realized you're in Chicago.  How about Chicken Vesuvio - chicken, white wine, garlic, potatoes, artichoke hearts, and peas. You can find it in a google.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  8. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I'd love to help you but I can't think when it's -15F. ;)  Seriously though, the weather doesn't help much.   I would serve something like a warm potato salad and a big salad.  Maybe a salad of roasted beets, grapefruit, and something else.

9. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Tajine of chicken with preserved lemons

Every element in this dish was cooked separately and simply assembled "nonchalantly" as you can see!

- roast chicken (preferably using some fennel seeds and garlic on it)

- couscous; probably needs no explanation

- stew of onion, lots of garlic preferably whole cloves in their skin, chili flakes, bell peppers but please do peel them first (a lot of people don't digest the skin) and... delicious fresh tasting preserved lemons. I buy mine in an ethnic shop. Use only the thick peel, do discard the pulp, it's way too salty. Add some black olives toward the end of the cooking time of the stew.

10. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    Or... a chilled red potato & green bean salad, herbs, diced red onion & Dijon vinaigrette dressing.  Add some feta, if you like.

11. foodnfoto

foodnfoto

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    What about a warm sweet potato salad with celery & red onion in a chipotle/adobo vinaigrette with fresh lime and orange juice. We sell the ### out of that one this time of year. 

12. kaiquekuisine

kaiquekuisine

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Roasted carrots with orange and sugar glaze. 

I dont know why but i thought of brussel sprouts, with tangerines <_<

Grilled peach salad maybe depending on the chickens seasoning :p

13. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I made a sweet potato dish a while back that was really good.  I cooked a sweet potato (could micro wave it), and put it in the food proc.  I added zest and juice of two clementines (could use orange), some Greek yogurt, a pinch of mutmeg and two eggs and got it to a creamy consistency.  I baked that in a ramekin in a water bath.  Next time I would omit the yolks and beat the egg whites and fold them in for a more fluffy, souffle like texture.

14. dillbert

dillbert Banned

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    guerken salat - aka cucumber salad.

one of my favs for a light crunchy side.

mandoline thin slice peeled cukes; lightly salt; drain in colandar, fridge over night

thin thin slice onion (I like mine with a bit of raw bite)

if you're going to make/serve immediately you can skip the overnight draining; but if made ahead, do not skip because the 'un-dewatered' cuke slices go soggy limp.

I highly recommend making ahead to allow good marinade time . . .

it's a neat trick for off season because you can pretty much always get some decent cukes and onion.

you'll find two major variations - cukes & onions in vinaigrette only, alternately vinaigrette plus sour cream.

I'm not a fan of the sour cream route.

as a added attraction - it's a vinaigrette - you can slant it in a thousand different ways to suit.

the acid portion also works well to "cut" the fat/oil taste of other dishes - roasted chicken doesn't have a lot of 'free flowing fat' - but does have some.

done it with leeks vs onion

dill is traditional - but lots fresh lemon juice&fresh basil leaves make a good Med. twist

the vinegar - more/less acid, malted, balsamic

the oil - triple check extra virgin for taste - if not 'neutral' EVOO can overpower via the sponge absorption of cuke slices.

salt/pepper/pepper flakes

the list goes on and on.

15. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    How about a slaw of celeriac and parsnips seasoned with caraway and dill with an aquavit dressing?

16. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
  17. jonpaul

jonpaul

Exp:
    Home Cook
    probably too late for your dinner,nicko,but maybe one for the future:

mango(firm & under-ripe),rice vermicelli,cucumber,pomegranate,roasted peanuts & chilli.dressed with a fish sauce,sugar & lime juice vinaigrette.nice n' light with bags of flavour.served here with vietnamese beef

18. helloitslucas

helloitslucas

Exp:
    Line Cook
    I love a cold yogurt, cucumber, onion and dill salad. Yum!

19. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    ...recipe straight from the middle east!!!!!!  And perhaps the addition of some chopped tomatos.  

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

20. chrisbelgium

chrisbelgium

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Lucas, if you change the onion with garlic, you'll have a perfectly "deconstructed" tzaziki! What more do you want Nicko?