Need help with recreating pastry

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by ryanscott6, Nov 30, 2011.

1. ryanscott6

ryanscott6

Exp:
    At home cook
    I had the pleasure of eating this pastry at a bakery in Vancouver this past week.  It was very crispy on both sides with currants throughout the 1/4" disc. It was labeled as Eccles. I've looked up recipes for eccles cakes and it looks like its just a pastry dough/currant concauction although none of what I could find online looked like this.  Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    x

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  3. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
  4. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Ishbel, i think there is a version they call "eccles cake" in america that is different from the english one.  Like so many things it could have been carried over by people from some small place that just made it that way.  But the one Ryanscott posted looks just like the ones i remember when i was a kid in Boston (the other boston, in the USA/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif)

5. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Eccles cakes (as far as I know) originated in Eccles, a small place in Lancashire.  I googled to find a picture of a British eccles cake (strange name considering they are a pastry - but, hey, you know the British....!) and found a blog written by an Englishman living in the States.  He's got a good photograph and even shows the English (of course, I mean British, as they are nowadays eaten everywhere in the UK) version in a photie.

http://mattikaarts.com/blog/baking-recipes/eccles-cakes-the-classic-british-tea-cake/

6. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    Very interesting Ishbel.  In the states they are flat and there is sugar on the outside of the flaky pastry that caramelizes in baking.  I believe I've seen them in london and they were different from the american ones but also different from these, which seem to be puff pastry turnovers filled with a currant filling, totally different again.   Will the real eccles cake please stand up!

7. ishbel

ishbel

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    All the UK Eccles cakes I've ever seen have been made with puff pastry, with a filling of fruit and, as you say, caramelised sugar on the top.  We have a version in Scotland that we call 'Flies' Cemetry' - very shortcrust pastry, then a layer of sultanas/raisins and/or apples and demerara sugar and then another thin layer of shortcrust sweet pastry, liberally sprinkled with sugar.  It probably has a grown-up name, but that's the one most know it by!

8. siduri

siduri

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm not sure, but i'm guessing the ones i used to have in the states were shortbread , but not filled, as in between two layers, but just with raisins mixed in.  The picture did look more like that