Need help with plant ID

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nancya, Nov 15, 2001.

1. nancya

nancya

A friend gave me this plant.... It starts with a round potato looking lump that puts out a shoot, whether or not it is in dirt. If you stick it in dirt, it grows great big, ivy like leaves. And it grows fast. I have measured it at up to 6 inches per day.

It sends shoots off it's long tendrils, winds it's way through the mini-blinds, like and ivy. The leaves are really huge though. Heck, I should take a picture of it...

At any rate, it is now growing those bulb things along the tendrils and I imagine that is the way it reproduces.

Anyone have any ideas? I think it was from Florida.

2. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nancya,

At first I was thinking forced paper whites,
    But as I read on thats can't be it.

any indication of flowering yet?
    That might help me research this for you
    cc

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Even though I tend to have a black thumb (I unintentionally kill any plant I get), I'll take a stab based on previous experience: sound like a Jerusalem Artichoke (also known as Sunchoke). I just remember that back when I still used to try to grow plants, I put one in a milk-carton with dirt, and in about 3 days it was bumping the ceiling. And jerusalem artichokes DO look sort of potato-y. Small potatoes, that is.

BTW: there's a new book of short stories out, by a writer named (I think) Jim Crace, titled The Devil's Larder. Jerusalem artichokes play a role in one of the stories -- all of which are rather bizarre.

4. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Nancya,

I think suzanne has something here.

I looked it up in some of my books and it sounds similar to what you describes.
    My Mother in Law is a horniculturist so I will also run it by her,
    Thanks Suzanne
    cc

5. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    If it is jerusalem Artichokes they need a lot of heat.
    I have a couple in my Jungle. Maybe I shall take a picture of them to post it to you Nancy.

"BTW: there's a new book of short stories out, by a writer named (I think) Jim Crace, titled The Devil's Larder. Jerusalem artichokes play a role in one of the stories -- all of which are rather bizarre".

Dear Suzanne. What's this?

6. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    If it is jerusalem Artichokes they need a lot of heat.
    I have a couple in my Jungle. Maybe I shall take a picture of them to post it to you Nancy.

"BTW: there's a new book of short stories out, by a writer named (I think) Jim Crace, titled The Devil's Larder. Jerusalem artichokes play a role in one of the stories -- all of which are rather bizarre".

Dear Suzanne. What's this?

7. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Athenaeus: I'll put up information about that book on the board on "The Bookshelf."

8. henry

henry

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Do the leaves have a dark purple color?

I'm thinking ornamental sweet potato vine.

good luck,
    H.

9. nancya

nancya

Thanks for the input...I went and searched on Jerusalem Artichokes, and nope...that's not it.

The leaves are big and heart shaped. Kind of a medium green. No purple.

I will take my camera to the office tomorrow and take a stab at a photograph.

Oops, and no flowers.

10. nancya

nancya

I took some not great photos of the plant in question, keep in mind that it has wound it's way through the mini blinds and is a little hard to photograph.

It looks a little like a large philodedron in the pictures. Janet tells me that one day, it'll just die - no warning. It's got a couple yellow leaves but I'm hoping it lives til it's babies are ready to plant.

11. nancya

nancya

Apparently, one can only do one attachment per post...so here is another picture. I recognize the mother-in-law's tongue, so don't worry about that one...

12. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Well Nancy.

I think that it's potato. I have an identical in my office and mine is potato :rolleyes:

13. nancya

nancya

Well, Athenaeus, I can guarentee it's not a potato as I know them...I sure wouldn't want to eat that lump.

But I wonder if it could be in the potato family?

14. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Try posting your question here:

Name that Plant!

I'm sure if you describe it well enough, someone will know for sure. If you can take a picture of it, you can upload it there when you post your question and I would bet someone would definitely know.

Good luck.

15. nancya

nancya

Thanks for the link cchiu - I finally got around to posting it there. Athenaeus gets a high five for placing it in the potato family.

Nancy